YASQ
Apr 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

XVampireX

1000+ Head-Fier
The title stands for Yet Another Setup Question.

Hey folks, what's up? Been absent from here for a while don't even really remember when I posted here last or at all :p
I've recently got into the whole idea of audio, other than wanting to start doing real music myself, also got into the Hi-Fi scene pretty much.
So right now I've got a fairly new computer with an onboard sound that I'm using right now, I also have a PCI card called Audiophile 2496 (That I got several good years ago)
my set of speakers for right now is not relevant, I'm getting AudioEngine 5+ very soon (Next month) and right now I'm contemplating the setup.

I've got 3 options -
1) Connect the A5+ to the AP2496.
2) Get a DAC.
3) Get something like Asus Xonar Essence STX.

The most economical option and the one for not such a bad idea is the first option. but the only 2 problems that I have is either the higher 192khz music or the overall multimedia incompatibility that is it won't work well with games or videos it will only give me flat response mostly I guess?

The second option is as I see it most likely go for the same offering from AudioEngine that is the D1 - not a bad idea, but rather budget minded at least I have this option for later for sure.

The third option is the Asus Xonar Essence STX - I know it's not such a bad card, but again just like the first option there are some bad stuff waiting to happen - Recording/Playing music (Latency? Is it good enough say can I get 4ms~  with asio?) + Gaming/Video

I'm an all around PC user I've got games on my PC but I'm not a super hardcore gamer (Although I do play quite a bit, not the casual games)

Also while I'm at it - for a while now I've got the AKG k271 mk2 cans --- They hurt my ears really bad if I wear them for like 1-2 hours and recently as I got into the Hi-Fi scene I noticed that seriously - They've got a flat response, they were not kidding when they said these are monitor headphones - Can I make them separate the different lines? or is it just because I'm driving them through the onboard sound FWIW? Also I might be selling these in the future and I'm looking to get some real comfortable cans that don't put pressure on my ears like these, what are some good ones?

Thanks for any advice, you people are great :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Bumpity bump and what's between that - I think I found a nice card called Creative ZxR I might be getting that instead of a DAC - don't need super high end music but that looks just like it might work though somewhat expensive :frowning2:

So I'll wait for the audioengine 5+ and we'll see how it turns out with whatever gear I have right now.

Still what about the cans, can't wear them for long at all nowadays they really hurt me, damnit :frowning2:

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 3
I bought the Asus Xonar Essence STX, pretty good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back