YACN (Yet Another CMoy Newbie)
Nov 30, 2005 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

deek

New Head-Fier
So I am gathering all my parts to start building my first CMoy. Instead of using a switch and a volume pot how hard would it be to use a volume pot that switches off when you turn it all the way down? Has anyone done this before who could make suggestions on which pots would be best for this.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 11
lol.... Best-CMOY-Thread-Title-Ever!

Anyway, yep that isn't a problem at all. You just need a pot with a switch on it. The perenial suggestion is the ALPS RK097. I don't have the pin out on me but essentially the pot has an integrated switch that you just need to put someplace on your rails before the amp. (right as the DC enters from the wall is my suggestion) Simple as that!

Anyway, you can get it from tangent: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 11
You wouldn't happen to know the Digikey part number? I am ordering all my stuff from there so as to save on shipping.

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 11
Digikey doesn't carry the ALPS (or at least I've never seen it there).

In fact (IIRC) it doesn't carry any audio taper switched pots.

It does carry a few switched linear taper pots though... But as far as I know none of them are stereo... so you would have to use a seperate pot for each channel. Some folks don't mind that, but I can't stand it!

It seems like there is probably some way of rigging up a circuit to shut the amp off when maximum resistance is reached... But that could get complex.

My advice is just to order from tangent... At the prices he charges you can stand to lose a little in extra shipping. (Besides that IIRC his shipping is pretty insanely cheap)

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 11
do you frequent anandtech? your thread is reminiscent of YACT, YAGT .etc

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 11
I do not. I remembered YaBB (Yet another bulletin board) and thought it would be a clever play on words.

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Digikey doesn't carry the ALPS (or at least I've never seen it there).

In fact (IIRC) it doesn't carry any audio taper switched pots.

Not true. It carries those Panasonic pots that people seem to suggest whenever getting ALPS isn't practical or possible.

I'll have to second the buying from Tangent suggestion. He's got decent prices and is generally a nice guy to deal with. You can also use this chance to score a couple of 470uF Cerafines for cheap, you know, for "future use". (Sorry for your wallet!
basshead.gif
)

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 11
They have on/off switch versions of the Panasonics? Now that's news to me! I've never seen them.

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 11
When wiring up my CMoy what guage should I be using?

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 11
You don't need anything very big. The only thing that you might want to consider is not going super thin on the wires carrying DC... Even for those you shouldn't need higher than 22 AWG and you can probably get away with a lot less.

For signal wires there are lots of options. Most anything will work. I use wire from bulk CAT-5 so around 28 AWG solid core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back