y1/y2 setup problems
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hitman47

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I've recently completed my y1/y2 build. As was to be expected, it doesn't work right now. When I stick the two boards together and plug it in (either USB or the 5V jack), the switch lights up. However, if I plug it into a USB port, the PC doesn't recognize it (it recognized it correctly once, but wouldn't play any music, then it stopped working, after that (I cleaned the boards and reflowed all the joints in between) it said "device malfunctioned" twice and now it's back to not working at all). I want to do the "initial check" tests from AMB's site, but I'm a bit confused if it's possible to do it for the y1 without connecting the USB and DAC boards, since I've already installed the receptacles and pin headers in those places. I checked some voltages without doing that once, and I got like 4.8V on the 3.3V test point and also something wrong on the 4.5V test point (I forgot, I'll test it again later). What's some stuff I should check?

Also, here's some pictures of both boards on both sides:

y1 top

y1 bottom

y2 top

y2 bottom:

PS: I tried making this same post on AMB's forums, but somehow it didn't appear in the forum I made it... Maybe it's still gonna appear, otherwise I'll try again there.

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Nice smd work hitman!! the only connection that looks iffy from the pics is U4U from pin 8 to 9. There may be a bridge or could just be the light.
If that is not it, i would put Y2 aside and test the Y1 board alone. you need to add the jumper wires from the USB side to the DAC side but is not a big deal. This should identify whether the problem is on the Y1 or Y2 at least.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your reply! My thread over at AMB's forums got approved and he has already helped me a considerable deal. I now get correct voltages everywhere and the DAC is recognized by my PC (fixed that by reflowing U1U), but there's still no sound, only hiss and pops and cracks...I've already reflowed all the SMD joints, so I'm kinda at a loss now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back