Y-Heatshrink
May 5, 2005 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ben.phelps

Head-Fier
im working on a mini to RCa and i was wondering if anybody knew where i could pick up some y heatshrink.
or any suggstions on how to do some other sort of y split?
thanks

May 5, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 8
It's not heat shrink, but Parts Express carries "cable pants" that may fit the job.

Do a search on their front page and you'll see a few different varieties.

-Drew

May 5, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 8
what I do, which may or may not work for you, is just use 3:1 heatshrink that is of a large enough diameter to get around the two smaller sets of wires yet not so big as to not be able to shrink around the single wire. I then just heat this piece until it is snug on the single wire and pinch between the two smaller wires to form "heat shrink pants".

I'm pretty sure I did a bad job explaining that so here's a picture showing the finished result. This is just one piece of heatshrink pinched together with my needle nosed pliers.

medium.jpg

Hope that helps. Otherwise go for something what Drew was describing but mine's way cheaper and customizable.

Nate

May 6, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What we need is heat shrinkable cable pants.

Then they could be called "Hot Pants".
biggrin.gif

ba-dop bop!

Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Edwood! He'll be here all week!
tongue.gif

May 6, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 8
I once entertained the notion of getting some dark grey carpet thread and sewing the cables together... then laziness set in, it never happened. Come to think of it they make some nifty kevlar fishing line, I wonder if that comes in complimentary colors.

May 6, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 8
A little searching of electronics stores and you should find what you need. There's a huge thread on the Bit-Tech forums with all the online stores you could want...I know McMaster-Carr sells various heatshrink breakout boots, two and three branch breakouts, but only in rather large sizes. And they're very expensive, like 10 dollars a peice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back