XSi vs. D3000
Nov 23, 2009 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an entry DSLR camera for my forthcoming photography class. Since it's my first DSLR, I don't want to spend a lot on it. My options are the Canon XSi and Nikon D3000. I mostly take landscape and portrait pictures. Can anyone give me some ideas about which I should buy? I might get a 17-50mm 2.8 lens. Not sure which to buy though.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Build quality of the 18-55 is so-so, image quality is very nice. You could also look for the 18-70 (cheap on ebay, great lens), the 35 1.8, and forget about the tele.

Both cameras take great pictures, both take great lenses, but you don't want to switch brands later on. So don't worry about specs, the quality of the kitlens, ignore deals. Just find out which of the two feels right and go for it.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 15
I wouldn't get too worried about switching brands in the future. Only if you invested a ton of money in lenses and accessories would it even be an issue. Even then, lenses hold value very well.

Practical image quality differences will be pretty low at this juncture. Nikon and Canon both make excellent lenses, some better than others, of course. The very cheapest lenses like the 18-55 will be pretty light and plasticy, but that is just a fact of life.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 15
first off, ill say im little biased toward nikon. i own a nikon d5000. now to answer your question. i would say xsi, because it is an opinion expressed by nikon guru ken rockwell that the d3000 is one of the worst DSLR made by nikon. i think he even goes as far to say that the d40 outperforms the d3000. however one thing to note is that i do not like low end canons and much prefer nikons for low end DSLR. the nikons have a much nicer weightier feel that makes you feel quality, while the canon feels cheap (especially the lens).

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Eh, the worst Nikon is still pretty good, you shouldn't take Ken Rockwell out of his own context. He tends to make good points, but every opinion he puts on his site is tongue-in-cheek.
That said, from what I've seen, the D40 still has the better sensor unless you care about megapixels. And the sensor really is all that matters. That does not alluva sudden make the Canon a better option. It could be, if you like it better, but not because Ken Rockwell said something about either camera.
If you're not afraid of ebay, people tend do dump perfectly fine cameras for upgrades, so you can find pro-grade stuff like a D200 perhaps even within your budget.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 15
For what it's worth: I'm also in the market for an entry level dSLR. I was able to spend a bit of time with the D3000 as well as the Rebel T1i (which I know is the next step up, competing with the D5000....). The D3000 was totally outclassed though. It just had a sluggishness to it, which I believe is what Rockwell had issues with. I've used a D40 and it did indeed feel much more responsive.

Another good option to consider is the Pentax K-x. It seems to offer most of the benefits of the D5000/T1i but at a slightly lower price. The Panasonic G1 is also nice if you're not afraid to be different and use the micro 4/3 system.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 15
I've got the Canon Digital Rebel XS and I like it a lot. Just be sure you pay up for the model 1 above mine so you get the Live View and not have to use the stupid viewfinder for everything (although I tell myself that's how the "pros" do it). Here's a macro shot of some wire I took with it, I still have to work on my skills:

macro4.jpg

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the stupid viewfinder [/IMG]

Ehm, right... try and focus something that moves, or hold the camera still enough not to blur the shot... you'll learn
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 15
For used items I always go to eBay and carefully look for a genuine good deal. If you're in US, I think you also have craiglist? Finding a second hand DSLR body isn't that difficult (at least not here)

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 15
I tried both of them at Walmart yesterday. The XSi felt better to me, more rigid and handy. They both look similar, haven't tried taking photos though. I might get the XSi if I can find a good deal for the body.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Canon Digital Rebel XS and I like it a lot. Just be sure you pay up for the model 1 above mine so you get the Live View and not have to use the stupid viewfinder for everything (although I tell myself that's how the "pros" do it). Here's a macro shot of some wire I took with it, I still have to work on my skills:

Your camera has live view too... That said, I've never seen anyone who actually prefers it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back