XP or Vista for USB playback
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't think there is any 'quality' difference with either os, but for music (and movies) i only run XP setups.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 14
if you are using ASIO, and are using the same software player as well as hardware configuration, there probably is no difference

I went from XP ASIO to Vista standard, and can't tell a difference. ymmv, depending on how "good of a listener" you are

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are using ASIO, and are using the same software player as well as hardware configuration, there probably is no difference

I went from XP ASIO to Vista standard, and can't tell a difference. ymmv, depending on how "good of a listener" you are

That's what I thought, I remember reading high praises on how better Vista sound quality is but really couldn't tell the difference using ASIO4ALL with foobar2000. Guess in that configuration kmixer was already bypassed on XP to gain anything on Vista. Wondering what everyone's else experience is, as I tested it with Chord DAC64 that does very heavy dejittering via big buffer that can hide jitter difference if it's there.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 14
If asio is installed (and working) in XP, I don't hear a difference. Without asio, Vista is audibly better. However, I have had no problems with latency with usb on Vista and I did have problems on XP even with asio. Maybe it was settings, but I got frustrated before I found a fix. I switched my desktop to Vista and those problems went away. As usual YMMV.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 14
You can also try Wasapi on Windows Vista: it's a bit perfect output.
But... you should get something as good as, or identical to, Asio.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 14
Vista with WASAPI is better than XP with ASIO, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vista for me is a more reliable connection out to usb than xp, i much prefer 5the sound of vista, its purer and richer than xp

Can you please describe your XP and Vista setup, did you use ASIO4ALL in both cases?

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista with WASAPI is better than XP with ASIO, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Technically, if ASIO4ALL is properly set up they should be identical, bits are bits and if kmixer is fully bypassed the output is the same.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4473777-post23.html
What difference do you hear? Thanks

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically if ASIO4ALL is properly set up they should be identical. What difference do you hear? Thanks

It should be like that, but to me the WASAPI has fuller sound than ASIO4ALL.

dunno why though..

EDIT:

The difference is not like day and night, but I can hear it.

My system is PC >> SPDIF >> DLIII >> Raptor >> W3000.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be like that, but to me the WASAPI has fuller sound than ASIO4ALL.

dunno why though..

EDIT:

The difference is not like day and night, but I can hear it.

My system is PC >> SPDIF >> DLIII >> Raptor >> W3000.

So, you are not using USB output?

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please describe your XP and Vista setup, did you use ASIO4ALL in both cases?

xp: dell latitude x300 battery(so should sound better!) powered laptop with XP Pro SP2 --> foobar 0.83|ASIO4ALL(otachan 0.47a dll) --> cryoparts axis USB interconnect --> empirical audio off ramp turbo 2 --> DAC1 Pre coax in --> denon d5000 markld

vista: apple intel imac bootcamped with vista ultimate --> foobar 0.83|directsound v2 --> cryoparts axis USB interconnect --> empirical audio off ramp turbo 2 --> DAC1 Pre coax in --> denon d5000 markld

no resampling at all, as i dont wish to degrade the original signal.

yes i did use the same fabled otachan,foobar,asio setup on my imac, but after trying the setup mentioned above stuck with it, as there was less artifacting and it presented a fuller detailed and luxurious sound (which i attribute to vistas superior audio subsystem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back