XP media vs XP pro for non Multimedia use
Oct 24, 2006 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to buy a Dell Notebook but there is no option to get XP home (which I can upgrade to Pro free via my Univ) only Media Center Edition(free and not upgradable to Pro) or XP Pro at an extra $89
eek.gif

I want to have this Notebook added to a Wireless network - does the lack of Admin functions (cannot add to a domain in the normal manner) and inferior security on MCE (based on XP Home, AFAIK old versions were based on Pro but the latest is not !) make a difference here ? - I have ZERO interest in convergence with my TV or other MM devices.

Secondly the interface on MCE looks a bit naff to me - can it be modified to look and behave like a normal XP interface ?

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I use wifi on XP home. I don't have a problem. XP MCE functions pretty much like any other XP.

I think you should get MCE and save $90.

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Are you sure the software through your univ is an upgrade? I ask because my college has the same kind of thing (except they give you pretty much every current version of windows) but the xp pro is the full version.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm
Are you sure the software through your univ is an upgrade? I ask because my college has the same kind of thing (except they give you pretty much every current version of windows) but the xp pro is the full version.

Sadly ours is definitely an upgrade pack, I have checked this out already

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Media Center is essentially XP Pro with some advanced networking features removed.

I think (I am not sure) you can choose the appearance skin so it looks like XP Home / Pro.

And I would agree with you about Windows Media Center (it really sucks, except possibly if you use it's tv pvr functionality with OTA tuners like the Vbox DTA-150).

Just go into appearances in the control panel and see if you can choose the regular Windows skinning.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Media Center is essentially XP Pro with some advanced networking features removed.

I think only version 2002 was based on Pro. Version 2003-2005 are now home based.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I think only version 2002 was based on Pro. Version 2003-2005 are now home based.

My understanding also, shame as Pro has some useful security stuff in it. My main worry was that it would not be secure on my home wireless network, well my Wife's really she is the techy.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Originally MCE was based on XP Pro. But as time went along, it has been continually improved (gimped). You can say it is based on XP home at this point in time in the same way as you can say that XP home is based on XP Pro or vice versa.

I don't think you should have to worry too much about security. You are not any safer with XP pro than if you were just with MCE 2005; that is to say you would probably need another router/software/firewall to get a better level of protection.

One of the main things that is disabled is the domain join, which I don't think will matter too much unless you have an advanced network set up in your house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back