XP Home and ME Networking
Jun 21, 2003 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it possible to make these two OS connect to each other. I use Orinoco Wireless router (BG2000). The internet connection is working for both of them but they can't connect to each other? Does anyone have any solution. I've read that XP home isn't designed for networking.

Jun 21, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 13
I have XP Home networked to Win 98, both Dell machines with a DSL ISP. I'm using a Linksys router with a 4 port switch. Both machines network just fine, but the only problem I had was getting the 98 machine to share the printer, so I got a 4 port USB switch, and now things are smooth. You shouldn't have any problems networking XP and ME, it may be your network interface. You can run a program off your XP disk on your ME machine to help set up the necessary drivers.

Jun 21, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 13
are they in the same workgroup?

did you run the network wizard on xp to create a floppy and then run the floppy on ME?

lastly, turning on sharing is a 2 step process. one is just setting sharing for the drive. what is the security for the drive? the ME account must have security priviledges to access it, and visa-versa.

you have to create an account on xp for ME, and create on ME for xp, usually administrator, otherwise they cannot talk to each other.

Jun 21, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Yes, Wallijonn, they are on the same workgroup. On XP machine, I can access the entire network and can see both of the comp (ME & XP) but it can't access the ME machine. The ME machine can't even go to the entire network.

Jun 21, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Take wallijonn's advice and run the networking wizard in XP and then run the floppy that is created on Me.
It should take care of things like workgroup names and such.
(I could get into details but if you are a network newbie I'll just make your head spin.)

XP was designed with networks from the start.
(Home doen't let you do stuff like FTP but it "talks" to networks just fine)

Jun 21, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 13
I've used the network setup disk from xp, and run it on me, yes, it sets all the network name etc, The first time, I can see both of the pc on netwok neighborhood by the me machine but I can't access the xp machine from the me, it's said "you don't have authorization to access bla bla bla" and the funny thing is I can't access the network from the Xp machine (it was working before I put the disk to Me), so I restart the xp, and voila, the xp can access the network, BUT the me can't even go to the entire network. it's just frustrating
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Better yet, get rid of ME... possibly the WORST OS ever created by Microsoft (and that's saying something!).

Obviously, there's a cost involved in doing so. But, if you take into account the number of hours (which are really frustrating hours!) that you've spent and will spend trying to network both machines, you might actually be better off just dumping ME and switching both machines to XP. Plus, the machine will be using an OS that's more stable and 4 years more current.

Bruce
(fellow frustrated ME user!)

Jun 21, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Better yet, get rid of ME... possibly the WORST OS ever created by Microsoft (and that's saying something!).

Obviously, there's a cost involved in doing so. But, if you take into account the number of hours (which are really frustrating hours!) that you've spent and will spend trying to network both machines, you might actually be better off just dumping ME and switching both machines to XP. Plus, the machine will be using an OS that's more stable and 4 years more current.

Bruce
(fellow frustrated ME user!)

This was the first thing to cross my mind.
Count me in as a Me hater.
God that OS is awful.
Even worst than BOB.

ok, maybe not worst than BOB. (shudder)

Jun 21, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I have not had any problems with ME. But then I have tuned the hell out of it (like I do with every OS). A lot of people who have had ME problems usually have more than 512MB of memory. There are ways to force it to just use 512MB. Otherwise, just set up a static swap space of 512MB and you should be ready to go.

Jun 21, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 13
jesus guys, getting rid of the OS is NOT a solution. I had the exact same problem getting my win98 machine to talk to winxp pro!

Am I the only person in the world who didn't have problems with ME?

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Getting rid of the OS may not be THE solution in this case, but it likely would make the task easier and improve the overall stability of the machine.

Wasn't ME the shortest life-span OS that MS ever released? Wasn't it really only marketed for ~ 12-18 months for XP was released??? Truly was designed as an stopgap, interim OS.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back