Xonar vs Creative UI&driver
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

staytuned

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am new to sound card, considering to buy one as my onboard audio sucks....I have viewed some many threads that discussed about Xonar and Creative, but still can't make the decision. I know they have good sound and features, but it seems that quite a lot of people talked about their UI&driver issues. Anyway, I am now using a Win7 (32bit) desktop. Anyone care to share experiences with both of their UI/driver, pros and cons, etc. etc.?

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 9
I bought both an ASUS Xonar D2 and Creative Titanium HD for comparision but I didn't like either of the UI/drivers, ASUS one is too basic/noob-friendly for my taste with a poor EQ and all settings are like 3-setting options etc and for Creative I didn't like having to deal with Alchemy and all games requiring their specific settings and in general was a bit too warm sounding while the ASUS card was slightly analytical bright sounding. In the end I went back to Realtek Onboard ALC889 as I wasn't satisfied enough with either to keep them. Wish there were more players around in this field, feels like there's not enough competition so neither manufacturers have to push themselves to stay competitive. But then again I haven't looked into the more "professional" soundcard offerings but then again I'm unsure about their gaming capabilities.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I am new to sound card, considering to buy one as my on-board audio sucks....I have viewed some many threads that discussed about Xonar and Creative, but still can't make the decision. I know they have good sound and features, but it seems that quite a lot of people talked about their UI&driver issues. Anyway, I am now using a Win7 (32bit) desktop. Anyone care to share experiences with both of their UI/driver, pros and cons, etc. etc.?

Might help to know what headphone(s) you are going to be using.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Was using a JVC one, now trying to upgrade to the Sennheiser HD600! 

The Asus Xonar Essence STX (& ST) can easily drive the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I bought both an ASUS Xonar D2 and Creative Titanium HD for comparision but I didn't like either of the UI/drivers, ASUS one is too basic/noob-friendly for my taste with a poor EQ and all settings are like 3-setting options etc and for Creative I didn't like having to deal with Alchemy and all games requiring their specific settings and in general was a bit too warm sounding while the ASUS card was slightly analytical bright sounding. In the end I went back to Realtek Onboard ALC889 as I wasn't satisfied enough with either to keep them. Wish there were more players around in this field, feels like there's not enough competition so neither manufacturers have to push themselves to stay competitive. But then again I haven't looked into the more "professional" soundcard offerings but then again I'm unsure about their gaming capabilities.

For some reason you keep forgetting to add that ALchemy is a set up and forget system, doesn't require any user interaction once the specific software, such as a game, is added to its database.

Both Asus and Creative make good soundcards, and their top products are great for music and movies, but while Asus has gaming support as an afterthought, Creative has it as one of its strong points.

The software UI from both is functional, but I find that there is better control over the features on the Creative software.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 9
I normally listen music only, so gaming features like Alchemy are not my concerns.

I was more interested in what you said, "better control over the features."

Any more specific example?

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I normally listen music only, so gaming features like Alchemy are not my concerns.

I was more interested in what you said, "better control over the features."

Any more specific example?

From what I recall, Asus cards have to rely on Windows audio settings to control digital audio options, for instance. Having to do manual channel number selection is a bit of a bother as well. There are a few more things, but I can't recall them right now.

What gear do you use? Headphones, speakers, headphone or desktop amps?

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 9
Staytuned.
As your really just doing music (2.0 channel, stereo), maybe skip the internal sound card and get something external.
With external audio, there is less chance that the computers internal electrical noise will affect the audio.
You can get a DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) off eBay for $50.
Also on eBay they sell single tubes headphone amplifiers starting at $50, $75 to $90 for the better ones.
So for $100 to $140 use can get something what will work with headphones up to 600-Ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back