Xonar STX sound issues from speakers and microphone
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

raif89

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So recently I've had some issues with my Xonar STX thats around 6 years old now. All of a sudden it's developed some noises through the speakers, but not the headphones.

Here's an example of the sound:

Also, there's some odd microphone static and occasional high pitched whine that kills other peoples ears when talking to them on VOIP.

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks but I'm out of ideas.

The speakers are connected to the card with the white and red cables connected to a y cable that turns the 2 into 1.

Any help would be awesome.

If getting a new DAC/AMP is in order, then I'd love a suggestion.

Edit - Onboard sound has none of these issues and I have a Maximus VIII with its built in soundcard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Does the STX have the same issues if you disable the on-board audio, in the BIOS?

Something to try (leave on-board disabled).
Turn off the computer, remove the STX card, turn PC back on and fully boot up.
While STX is removed, make sure all three op-amps on the card are full seated.
Turn computer off and reinstall the STX card and boot up the PC.

Maybe try the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

If the computer and the speaker are sharing the same surge protector, you might be getting a feedback loop.
Try plugging the computer and speakers into separate wall sockets.

But I'm kinda guessing the STX card is becoming defective.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 3
So I did some cleaning, removed and swapped some cables around and found that the sound only happens when I play a game - doesn't matter the game at all.

I disabled on board sound and installed the stable set of uni xonar 1.8a instead of the latest Win10 ones I had and it seems to have solved it for now. No more noise.

However, now when I start up a game, the microphone starts buzzing the second the GPU kicks in. When I turn off the game and let the GPU idle it's clear.

Edit - nervermind, the sound is back. More so, I can recognize the sound now. It's the exact sound that is playing the moment I close the game looped.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back