Xonar Essence STX
Jul 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wishmaker

100+ Head-Fier
I have been lurking in this section for a while and read through the ample threads answered by audiophiles. In every thread I see Asus Xonar ST/X as the best recommendation for audio listening. Furthermore, Creative products are bashed down and sent to the back of the bus due to the so called low audio quality. 

So, I pulled the trigger and got myself an Asus Xonar STX. After I had problems due to its length and was forced to re-arrange my whole computer inside, I managed to install it. I won't get into the the hoops I had with installing the ASUS driver because it is pointless. I thought Creative was crap but ASUS is not far. 

I am running FOOBAR now via WASAPI and listening to HQ flacs, AC3s, DTS songs and ... what a sad audio card.Sound is flat with a lot of mids and while the distortion is close to non-existent, I cannot say I am satisfied. I spent 160 euros on a soundcard that is mediocre. Lack of treble and bass control is shocking! You can pump the EQ all the way up and play with the crossover frequency, the results are still not what they should be. The dynamic effect you get from a treble and bass knob and frequency separation is not there. 

Many here on the headfi board need to have their ears checked because the recommendations they give are misleading. I've seen this 'you can train your ear attitude' which is totally false. You either have it or you don't and the majority does not. 

In my family we are rather close to music and high quality (from opera singers, guitarists, to sound engineers). I grew up with them and with proper music and I inherited the capability of detecting good music from bad. Because I was out of the audiophile scene for a while, I opted to get advice from people who were up to date. How wrong I was. 

The STX is awesome on paper and the frequency tests are close to perfect. It has its own opamp and this is its main selling point. My Creatve Platinum EX did not have all these fancy things and even my Auzentech and Titanium are of a lower quality if we look at spec wise. 

Does the STX impressive spec sheet translate into real life? No it does not because the sound in my Klipsch and Senns is not as vibrant as in the Platinum EX, Auzentech or even the piece of poo Titanium HD. 

A huge pro for the XONAR is the low level of distortion. Compared to the other sound cards I have the XONAR tramples them BUT the XONAR is FLAT! My Senns HD650 sound FLAT now 
sad-smiley-002.gif
sad-smiley-002.gif

A piece of advice, if you don't know what you are talking about, do not advise people. If you see a recommendation someplace from someone, do not act like you are an expert and recommend it too.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 9
you are right

creative sound is the best

i have creative vibra 128

it sounds like heaven even its a old card

there is pepole in amazon, other forums, and xonar forum
complaining about xonar sound quality

so this pepole try it and say its bad so they are right

i didnt see pepole say creative sound is bad

maybe pepole recommend xonar because of db

but db is not the only thing for sound quality

and maybe they hate creative only

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 9
from where you in europe

pepole why you recommend xonar card

is it because of db is higher than creative

is this for it only

the reality of asus xonar and the scandal

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090417202608956&board_id=21&model=Xonar+D2X&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=21&model=Xonar+D2X&id=20101230215941789&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm sorry for your experience but I think you is in the wrong side of the way. Why wasapi? this is an ASIO soundcard
Please install the bit perfect official driver ( last is the 1794) from Asustek site and  set your foobar to ASIO output.
You can't have the volume control ( are bit-perfect!) but this is the best internal audiophile soundcard now available. It could be not so easy to set but it sounds very very well.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Sorry to hear that...you might want to take a look at the Xonar software settings on your comp.

That piece of software got me pretty confused until I do some research and set it up right.  I'm at work atm.  But I will check on my settings and show it to ya.

Plus there is a latest driver which can help.

I have great experience with it, AFTER I found out its quirks :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I am creative fan. Because there used to be people who used to say logitech 2.1 system better than Creative I trigue. Samething.  There are two types of people. One who likes noise sound of logitech or high punch sound of creative. Creative rocks. Creative is microsoft of music system. cheap and effective.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I am creative fan. Because there used to be people who used to say logitech 2.1 system better than Creative I trigue. Samething.  There are two types of people. One who likes noise sound of logitech or high punch sound of creative. Creative rocks. Creative is microsoft of music system. cheap and effective.

yes yes creative

ooooooooooooooooo

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 9
I am assuming you are using high gain settings. If you had used low gains settings, then definitely it would be bad. I have seen people complaining that it STX has lot less bass and very bright with stock opamps. But never flat..especially with senns. You can try opamp rolling starting with clues from this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back