Xonar Essence STX sounds cut short
Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rainyday

New Head-Fier
I'm having some trouble with my STX. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with the latest drivers. My headphones are plugged to the Headphone Out port. All the music I play sound great, no problems there. I'm having problems with many short sound effects, for example opening a windows folder, or betting chips in poker client. To me it sounds like the sounds are not fully played, only a fraction, perhaps half is. This happens whether PCM, dolby headphone or 7.1 virtual audio speaker is enabled or not. What could be causing this?

Any help appreciated.

edit: This also happens with my speakers connected to the front right and left out ports, so the problem is not in headphones.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainyday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having some trouble with my STX. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with the latest drivers. My headphones are plugged to the Headphone Out port. All the music I play sound great, no problems there. I'm having problems with many short sound effects, for example opening a windows folder, or betting chips in poker client. To me it sounds like the sounds are not fully played, only a fraction, perhaps half is. This happens whether PCM, dolby headphone or 7.1 virtual audio speaker is enabled or not. What could be causing this?

Any help appreciated.

edit: This also happens with my speakers connected to the front right and left out ports, so the problem is not in headphones.

I wouldn't worry about windows sounds being cut short if all that seems to be cut short is the decay as windows does this to save space. It's a window issue not a soundcard issue if this is the case. If when playing music it sounds fine then the soundcard is ok. If it cuts off more than the decay after the main signal then it is likely a driver issue or something else. I actually turn off the system sounds as I don't want them interfering with recording as i found that they can sometimes cause a break in the sound & even cause the audio service of the recording program to stop working temporarely during recording even though the sound itself is not & will not be recorded if recording from the line-in for example.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 4
I was about to ask same question. I use foobar2000 with asio or wasapi and Essence ST on W7 64. There are a lot of unwanted sounds coming thru, just like OP says.

I understand that windows sounds are manageable in control panel and can be completely turned off, but i was under the impression that when you use asio(or wasapi), it silences all other windows sounds. So why the hell those annoying sounds ares still coming thru?

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 4
For me the sounds weren't coming through but they were cutting the sound that I wanted off either momentarily or by shutting down the recording service when I was trying to record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back