Xonar Essence STX gain not working
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

x1o8x

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been using Xonar Essence STX for years and there werent any problems with it until recently, my headphone gains setting stopped working.

For some reason it's seems to always be on extra high gain, even when i selected normal gain. For example, music I used to listen at 0.00db in foobar is now at around -11db or so.

Other than that, everything is fine. It's just without this gain setting, it'll be harder for me to adjust the volumes to my liking since each gain is gonna be a bigger boost as I'm currently using Grado SR60e which is rated at 32ohms.

Any ideas on how to make the gain setting worked? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm on Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks in advance guys for the help.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 5
  I've been using Xonar Essence STX for years and there werent any problems with it until recently, my headphone gains setting stopped working.
For some reason it's seems to always be on extra high gain, even when i selected normal gain. For example, music I used to listen at 0.00db in foobar is now at around -11db or so.
Other than that, everything is fine. It's just without this gain setting, it'll be harder for me to adjust the volumes to my liking since each gain is gonna be a bigger boost as I'm currently using Grado SR60e which is rated at 32ohms.
Any ideas on how to make the gain setting worked? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm on Windows 10 64bit.

By "uninstalling and reinstalling", do you mean the drivers or the card itself?

If you only did the drivers, try turning the computer off, remove the STX card, turn computer on and let windows boot up.
Then turn computer off and reinstall the STX card (maybe different PCI-E slot), turn computer back on.

Assume you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio?(not really a big issue).

Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 5

By "uninstalling and reinstalling", do you mean the drivers or the card itself?

If you only did the drivers, try turning the computer off, remove the STX card, turn computer on and let windows boot up.
Then turn computer off and reinstall the STX card (maybe different PCI-E slot), turn computer back on.

Assume you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio?(not really a big issue).

Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I meant the drivers. I'll try the method you advised and also the drivers you linked. I've been using the drivers downloaded from Asus's site. Thanks for the help.

edit: uninstalled the asus driver and used the unified xonar driver. It's working now. thanks alot man :D

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 5
for some reason, the control panel for unified xonar driver started having the same issue as i had when i installed the asus driver.

I've reinstalled the card and disabled the motherboard's onboard audio as well but the gain is still not controllable.

once i uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled it, the headphone gain is back to normal, but if i restart my pc, it goes back to this issue

any advise you guys could give?

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 5
  for some reason, the control panel for unified xonar driver started having the same issue as i had when i installed the asus driver.

I've reinstalled the card and disabled the motherboard's onboard audio as well but the gain is still not controllable.

once i uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled it, the headphone gain is back to normal, but if i restart my pc, it goes back to this issue

any advise you guys could give?

My best guess is the Essence STX card is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back