Xonar Essence STX Dual Line In?
Apr 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pm@c

500+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to use a Y splitter to input an audio signal from an MP3 player or something similar and a mic signal at the same time into the line in? My predicament is that I am trying to get my PS3 sound to go through my PC so I can use Steam to voice chat to a buddy of mine while we play PS3 games (because in game PS3 voice chat sucks). Basically I have optical input into my 5.1 speakers (Z5500), which have an analog output on the dock. I can plug headphones into that output and it works. My plan was to get a M to 2xF splitter, plus it into the line in/mic port, and then plug my mic into one of the female jacks, and a 3.5mm cord from the other female jack to the 3.5mm output on the speakers. Think that will work?

Or would getting a 2 male to 1 female splitter and plugging one male into the Z5500 headphone port and the other male into the soundcard with the female plugging into my headphones works? Im thinking that might be a simpler solution.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 3
The STX will only allow audio through it's Line-in/Mic input as one or the other, not both. Microphones are like headphones in reverse, signal wise, and need to go through a different circuit than a line-level input. With the STX you will hear a click as it switches between those two circuits. This is normal. 

What I would do is plug your mic into your PC's onboard audio and leave your speakers plugged into the STX, then plug your PS3 into the STX's line-in. Set steam voice chat to your onboard audio's mic and the output to the STX. (Also works with TS, Mumble and, vent). Next make sure that in the STX's control panel you have the Line in selected and its on listen mode so you can hear your PS3. All done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back