Xonar Essence ST or DAC?
Jan 5, 2010 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
I've been planning on buying a xonar essence ST for a while now. Since then I've been thinking about getting aftermarket cooling for my video card, but most good options would either not allow me to fit the Xonar, or wouldn't allow room for another card for crossfire in the future.

Basically my question is, are there any DAC's in the $200 price range that will at least match the SQ of the xonar essence st?

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 15
There a few USB DACs I can think of that sound equally as good if not better for cheaper (or slightly more)

Nuforce uDAC
Musiland 02
iBasso D2/D4
EMU 0404 USB

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Ok, thanks. Looks like the Musiland might be the way to go. Are there any more to consider? Also, do all of those have a pretty good (neutral) frequency response?

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There a few USB DACs I can think of that sound equally as good if not better for cheaper (or slightly more)

Nuforce uDAC
Musiland 02
iBasso D2/D4
EMU 0404 USB

I total agree whit that. I have upgraded from essence stx to gamma 2 DAC and the difference is really huge. You should get for an external DAC. Maybe you invest something more as 200$ because it will not satisfy you and then you will look for better.
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I total agree whit that. I have upgraded from essence stx to gamma 2 DAC and the difference is really huge. You should get for an external DAC. Maybe you invest something more as 200$ because it will not satisfy you and then you will look for better.
L3000.gif

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. The thought of having a card stuck right in the middle of my motherboard was also discouraging. That would restrict any video card to two slot cooling, so that would basically throw out any aftermarket cooling.

How much more would you say I should invest to get to the next "tier" of performance (what DAC's should I look at)? I guess I could stretch it to $300, but not really more than that. That is about all I'm willing to spend right now, and honestly I've been using my M50's with basically onboard for the last year, so I don't think I can wait longer
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 15
I can only recommend you what I have heard.
I have a gamma2 DAC and you get a great DAC for less then 200usd. The only thing is you need to build it yourself. For 300usd you get wonderful pico DAC it uses the same hi-end DAC chip. Its a really big step forward. )

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only recommend you what I have heard.
I have a gamma2 DAC and you get a great DAC for less then 200usd. The only thing is you need to build it yourself. For 300usd you get wonderful pico DAC it uses the same hi-end DAC chip. Its a really big step forward. )

How hard is it to build the gamma2? I'd be willing to try it, but I've never soldiered extensively (just replacing led's, moving caps, etc.). Also is it relatively neutral? (I know this probably varies with the components used)

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 15
@ZeNmAc, if your handy with the soldering iron, DIY would be the way to go as you can build a better unit then you can usually buy for the same amount of money.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ZeNmAc, if your handy with the soldering iron, DIY would be the way to go as you can build a better unit then you can usually buy for the same amount of money.

I was thinking maybe I'll buy the uDAC now, and build the gamma 2. It'll probably take me a while to finish the gamma 2, and when I'm done I can use the udac for my laptop since it's portable.

Again, would the gamma 2 be the best choice as far as diy goes?

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 15
In price/performance is the gamma1/2 best choice you can make!!! But as you noticed you need to be good whit iron) I would try it out, if I were you. The ICs can be soldered from an local guy that can handle this stuff. All other parts you can do your self. The main factor is how good can you solder. If you never did it, then you should begin whit a more easy project not gamma2!!!!!!!!

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes, if your not that handy with an iron you can always get another to do the job for you. You can usually get a much better sounding unit by going DIY over just buying a completed unit.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Ok thanks everyone, I posted in the DIY section and I think I'll be building a gamma 1, then the gamma 2. I think once I get my head around everything it shouldn't be that hard. It'll be worth the experience anyway
biggrin.gif
. I should really get proper soldering equipment anyway.

I can't wait to get this built
L3000.gif
! I shouldn't have to upgrade my source for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back