Xonar Essence ST new 1794 driver installed now stutters
Jul 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mph101

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Been lurking around for a while and have learned a lot.  Never had any problem with xonar essence ST on XP sp3 32-bit and it sounded great . Couldn't understand all the problems I was reading about with the drivers.

Upon adding this card to Windows 7 64 bit its been a nightmare.  From first day I couldn't load ASUS drivers onto the fresh system and it severely crashed my system so after 2 attempts I gave up on the stock drivers.  I did get the uni drivers installed.  Yet the confusion and lack of any type of tutorial in a order of explaining things on setting is no good.
The uni drivers are fine but chaotic in trying to figure whats what unless you are very good with searching info.

The reason I installed the new drivers was I couldn't get the ASIO to wrok on Foobar2000 after restting things.  I do not know why the ASIO settings stopped working on foobar as they were working with the uni drivers 1793 for a couple weeks.

I've installed the newly released 1794 drivers from ASUS on my card tonight.  First I tried the uni drivers however they wouldn't install and I had error messages so I had luck this time on the ASUS site downloading and installing.

They ASIO sounds very clean and is working proper.  I am getting stutter anytime another program makes a sound. I.E.  My email program checked for email and when it was complete the song stutters until I pause and restart it. I opened the volume mixer to check it out, things looked fine.  I hit the slider with the cursor and the stutter started.  I closed foobar preferance and missed the x icon to close the box with cursor and the stutter occurs.  This I tried every time it did the same.  Closing with a hit on the X no stutter. 

I did not have this stuttering with older drivers set to ASIO when using Foobar.  But then again they stopped working all together.

The problem appears to be stuttering with programs that may be operating where there could be a system sound is detected.  There is still some clicking/poping but its vastly reduced in ASIO compared to the previous drivers.

I have the output ASIO driver with a buffer of 850.
On the ASUS media control the ASIO box is set a 16 bit with a latency of 10 but I don't believe there is a option to change that.  At least I can't set it.

My playback is 2 channel through the analog RCA jacks out to a AMP.

I have never tried WASIPI and will have to use DS back and forth as I use the pc for other things. 

The pc has a sandybridge i3-2105, with 8 gigs of RAM

Thanks for any suggestions

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi

I'm on win 7 x64 and i use the uni drivers and have no probs at all,give these a try,they are alt version of 1.40 for people having probs installing them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3137029/UNi%20Xonar%201794%20v1.40_%20alt.exe

hope they work for you.

edit.....

i just remembered i had the same prob with sound stutter when playing music,simple solution was to turn off system sounds in windows and now have perfect playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back