Xonar Essence and Auzen Forte + digital INPUT
Feb 26, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kumaiti

100+ Head-Fier
Here is a question for the owners of the Essence or the Forte, I just don't remeber which one has a Digital Input:

Is it possible to connect a source of Dolby Digital signal like the Xbox optical OUTPUT to the card's digital input and listen to it using Dolby Headphones?

In other words: does it work as a makeshift audio receiver?

thanks!!

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a question for the owners of the Essence or the Forte, I just don't remeber which one has a Digital Input:

Is it possible to connect a source of Dolby Digital signal like the Xbox optical OUTPUT to the card's digital input and listen to it using Dolby Headphones?

In other words: does it work as a makeshift audio receiver?

thanks!!

The Essenses definately have no digital input so forget those in this situation.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Many cards do have digital input,....BUT, not many will decode a DD or DTS signal. This is what your after. Connecting up an encodd signal from a DVD player, game system etc and have the card decode it and play it through the headphones. Sorry.
However, if you set the output for 2 channel PCM you can use the card for output.
THere may be a issue with latency. Which I had better news for you.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 8
ROBSCIX, do you know of any actual card that can do that just as an example?

Honestly, it is not that I am terribly after it, it would be just the icing on the cake that I need to decide between the Forte and the Essence STX.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Neither of those cards will do it. Some of the older Creative cards decoded these types of streams. Such as Audigy 2 Value, X-fI X-Music. You would have to verify to make sure though. I know the A2 Value does the job as I used that to do the task years ago. There may be cards from other companies that do this also. It seemed a common feature on many of CL cards and considering you can get these cards cheaply Maybe you can run two and Link them together. Use the output of the CL card and connect it to a AUX input on the STX or the Forte. You are good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back