Xonar DX Issues- 5.1 Surround Sound and Static
Mar 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Arklite

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any pointers you can offer.

Specs:
CPU: E8500
Ram: 8GB
MOBO: Asus P5Q Pro
Headset: Speedlink Medusa 5.1
Card: Asus Xonar DX

Issue 1: Proper 5.1 setup.

This one is mostly to check that my understanding is correct. Per this thread, when running a 5.1 setup I should place my rear "speaker" in the side jack.

Using my old realtek onboard audio drivers, windows sound manager had the 5.1 setup in the traditional 5.1 fashion with two speakers in the rear. With the new Xonar drivers, windows now has 5.1 in the new style with the rear speakers being moved to the side. I just wanted to confirm that running 5.1 with the rear speaker in the side jack is the correct approach. As the headset is designed to actually have sound come from the rear speakers for rear noises, I want to ensure this is still the proper way to set things up.

Issue 2: Static

I've done a fair bit of trouble-shooting and research here. The problem does not appear to be isolated to the Xonar DX, since the same problem was present when using realtek onboard drivers and x-fi extremegamer. The problem appears to be volume related, but only become an issue in games. For example, if I have my volume nearly maxed and am just looking at my desktop or listening to a song, there is no static. In game though the static is quite loud.

I tried disabling my onboard sound (didn't help) as well as fiddling with the volume controls (both on the device and the computer) but can't eliminate the static without the volume dropping to unacceptable levels.

Some other suggestions I have heard are...

Disable CD volume
Try a different headset
Try different connectors
Unplug USB devices to see if they are causing interference

If you have any additional suggestions to try out when I get home tonight, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted here on any resolutions and additional issues (should they arise.)

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Static? Only in game? Could be interference from EMI with GPU under extra load.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 3
To be fair, I might not have run in through its paces enough in non-game settings. I listed to an MP3 and an online video without noticing anything and moved on to game testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back