Xonar D2X settings
Sep 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
using the Xonar D2X for watching movies with headphones, do you guys switch to movie mode with all that dolby setting stuff, or do you keep it in hi-fi mode?

I keep my Xonar on 44.1 KHz sample rate most of the time, but for movies is appropriate to increase it to 48 or 96 KHz? I am not sure what the sample rate is of sound on a blu-ray or a DVD.

I'd like to pose the same question for gaming with headphones too, in terms of using game mode and the sample rate.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 3
honestly i hate dolby effects with my headphones on, but even with stereo loudspeakers, its quite nice to have dolby effects, but some people like dolby headphone or whatever else, like the surround decoders for headphones, all that jazz

so i'd enable it, if it sounds good to you, but its all on preference, not on "this is the right way to do it and if you aren't doing it this way you're stupid" (even though i'm sure an arguement like that will come up)

as far as sample rates, depends on the soundtrack on the disc you're reading from, bluray should be 24/96, but thats the dts master audio/dolby truehd track, which doesn't mean the stereo track is going to maintain that 24/96 lossless encoding, dvd is the same way, except 16/48 or 24/48 is more common than 24/96, due to the space available on dvd vs the space available on bluray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back