Xonar D1 vs uDAC2
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5
I'm going to be getting Audio Technica AD900s. I figured it's time to upgrade from onboard sound. I had my eyes set on the uDAC2, but talking with someone they said to avoid USB powered DAC/Amps if you are using a desktop. According to him, the Xonar D1 is an amp/DAC, and would be a much better option than the uDAC2. Thoughts?

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 5
If all you want is sound quality then go with the UDAC2, I do not own it, but I'm using a 160USD DAC/amp combo that I normally run on USB power only (it can use external power) and the sound quality beats the Xonar DX by a fair margin. From ppl's impression of the UDAC2, I think it's no slouch either.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Personally, I have been finding my E7 DAC/Amp to output higher sound quality than my Xonar D1.
But if you want features like custom EQ, and other features, get the sound card.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm in the same boat. I've been bouncing back a forth between getting the Xonar or the uDAC-2, but I think I like the uDAC-2 for the external volume controls.

I've been looking at the uDAC-2, but I had a question. Does the external volume knob on the uDAC-2 control Windows audio or does it operate independently from your computer's audio controls? Are usb DACs more apt to control Windows audio?

I have a Creative  Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 External Soundcard, and I was under the impression that this would work the same as something like the uDAC-2, however its volume knob controls Windows audio. I feel as if the volume my headphones are outputting are too limited by this external soundcard. Is it because it doesn't have a built in headphone amp like the uDAC-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back