Xonar Audio Centre vs Windows Speakers Properties
Feb 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

evilWind

New Head-Fier
First of all, my apologies if I have asked a dumb question or whatever. Actually I am kinda new to this entire "audio related thingy", I am actually much more of comfortable in graphics related fields... so... please help me solve this problem. :)

I use Adobe Audition to record vocals and apply noise reduction and a few vocal enhancer effects. My sound card is Xonar Essence STX. The microphone I am using is Blue Yeti USB Microphone. It supports max 16-bit 48kHz. That's fine, but Audition refuses to record until I set my speakers to 16-bit 48kHz as well.

So, I have no choice but to set my speakers to the settings it demands. But if I set the sample rate to 96kHz in Xonar Audio Center, will I get 24-bit 96kHz audio? Or is the "speakers properties" limiting it?

Actually what I am aiming for is 24-bit 96kHz output. So, which one overrides which one? Xonar Audio Center or Speakers Properties? Should I set both of them to 24-bit 96kHz like this to achieve what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 3
No, you will get 16 bit 96KHz output but only to your speakers, the recording will still be 16 bit 48KHz. This card has a hardware sample rate converter that is just for the speaker/ headphone output

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 3
I am using headphone out. So what you meant is that I will "still" get 96k output (or whatever is set in the Xonar Audio Centre) even if I set the speaker settings to 48k for recording purposes?

And what about 24-bit! Am I not getting that anyway (all the variants shown above)?

Pardon my ignorance :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back