XMOD as a external DAC?
Feb 28, 2007 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hieukm

Head-Fier
hi, I got a XMOD as a gift and now i want to use it as a external DAC to my onboard sound card.

My headphone is A700

Can someone advise me how to do this?

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, you can't - your Xmod will either work as a usb soundcard (i.e., using it, you'll completely bypass your onboard sound), or you can feed it with an analogue line-level signal. It hasn't got an SPDIF input, though - so it won't act as a DAC for your onboard sound.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 6
lini, external DACs don't have to work through a soundcard to be considered an external DAC
tongue.gif

hieukm, as mentioned just connect it via USB. But note that the Xmod does it's own sound processing using the crystallizer, and will colour the sound.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lini, external DACs don't have to work through a soundcard to be considered an external DAC
tongue.gif

That's right - but his wording was "as a external DAC to my onboard sound card"...
evil_smiley.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Sry if i confused u guys. I wonder if i could improve my sound with this Xmod thing.

Crystalizer does colour and make the music sound better but it does not improve the quality of the sound. So i got the A700 as an upgrade but i was not really satisfied as i did not get any "WOW" effect.

So now i wonder that is there anyway i can improve this set up rather than plug the XMOD into my USB?

Thx

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi
This DAP/DSP improve the sound, specially in the lows (add some punch) and in the Highs (make it more energetic). Make that the music to be livelier that without it enabled (crystalizer, and the CMSS3D activated in the headphone out, create a spacious and realistic soundstage to your headphones (the best for movies (better than Dolby Headphone))) and these can be graduated (crystalizer and CMSS 3D) depending of the song or music type.
I recomend you an amp too. A corda headsix is perfect for your headphones and make a excelent synergy with your XMOD or a Corda Arietta, but you will need a 1/8" to 1/4" plug adapter.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hieukm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sry if i confused u guys. I wonder if i could improve my sound with this Xmod thing.

Crystalizer does colour and make the music sound better but it does not improve the quality of the sound. So i got the A700 as an upgrade but i was not really satisfied as i did not get any "WOW" effect.

So now i wonder that is there anyway i can improve this set up rather than plug the XMOD into my USB?

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back