xm radio antennae location?
Dec 25, 2006 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,

i would like to have a xm radio antennae located about 10' from a north facing window which is double pane low e argon with integral blinds.

am i likely to get any signal there?

of course xm says "try it" but if it does not work we keep your subscription, doh.

music_man

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 8
It is widely known that the optimum signal strength is achieved when the antenna is facing a southerly direction, which I assume you also know since you are asking about a signal being able to penetrate double pane windows from the North.

I find that when the unit is hooked up to the indoor antenna, generally the signal is very good, even when facing a direction other than the South, so long as it is not facing anything but a window. Blinds may, but shouldn't affect it much, unless they're made of some really dense material, which I'm thinking yours are since they were a mention....

XM reps are right in saying "go head, try it", becuase they (XM) already have their asses covered by stating that the antenna should be facing in a southerly direction, and that anything else is Caveat Emptor" But you know, you can always do a month long trial, which within that time you can return the unit, and only have subscribed for $12. No big loss there.

Personally speaking though, if it were not for a certain talk show on XM, I'd not subscribe for the music. The audio quality is absolutely atrocious when heard through a decent home system. Hell, even my pair of cheap Optimus speakers through my old Onkyo TX SV515 Pro exploits the dreadful results which are brought on by low bitrate compression. Even their "premium" (see: 48 kbps) channels still sound like crap, no matter what kind of magical synthetic compression schemes they try and toss at it... Highs are pretty much non existent, and when heard, are sibilant enough to derail any mellow mood. Mids are flat and pretty much the same as the highs, not there. Bass is disgustingly muddy, and lack any depth or punch.

I'd not recommend their service if you really enjoy "listening" to music. At the same token, it's a great medium for finding new music, and getting local news/sports. If you don't care too much about audio quality (what'cha doin here then ?!) and want it more for the curiosity etc, then it's probably just fine.

And no, Sirius is no better. Worse, if anything, or at least they used to be. Seems that XM has really put its priorities in the crapper. More channels, in order to out do Sirius, has chomped away at their bandwidth so much, that what used to be almost acceptable (perhaps used to sound more like 96 kbps), has turned into "how the hell are they getting away with this?"

Of course, you may already have the sub, and just haven't hooked it up yet. I couldn't tell from your post if you owned a unit yet or not... My sub runs out in a few days, and I'm not sure that I'll be renewing it since I'm actually able to download the talk shows I listen to . It's just nice being able to listen to them whenever I want on the fly... Have to get MY priorities in order now I guess.

Good luck bro...

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Inside wear I live, I have it on a window, reason being? Im not sure

The window is facing West. Meaning, the signal is not coming from that location.
Instead, its on the window sill, and the signal would go through the roof, ceiling, into the southern sky
Thats for home
For the vehicle, I have the antenna on the car, works great, unless I get blocked by something, IE a building right beside me, and I am stuck there

If your house is made of steel, the odds are slim. But if your just a roof away from the sky, you should be ok

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 8
For the record, at the moment my "My-Fi" is getting flawless reception as :

1) All of my blinds and shades are closed (blinds face North East and Curtain faces East)

2) The unit is next to my TV, which is partially blocking it, and is facing the closed curtain, which leads to my terrace.

3) The antenna is turned AWAY from any windows, and I actually put it almost flush against a solid wall which has a metal beam in it at that particular spot, and is also almost close to the floor.

By XM's standards, I am doing it all wrong, and might not get any reception. But, no drop outs, and no fuzz. Sounds clear as a compressed 24kbps bell !
evil_smiley.gif

Oh yeah, important : I live in NYC. There are many "repeaters" here, which boost the signal strength. This probably accounts for my situation. If you live in a rural place, chances are you might not be as lucky w/the signal as I am.

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 8
i have it in the car. i know the fidelity stinks. you said exactly why i like it:finding new music. i do not know if i could stand it in the home though. in the car i am preoccupied with driving(of all things).

if i pull in the garage sometimes it works. sometimes it does not. those delphi radios are cheap so i might as well just use the trial since i'd get a discount for 2 subs anyhow.

in all honesty i'd use it on the internet. i think it is actually better quality! it shuts off after 30 minutes which stinks. if it stayed on i'd be happy. it has a timer not a network issue.

music_man

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 8
I've had great luck I guess. Mine has picked up without any problems and its in the basement with earth behind three of the walls and a wall and garage between it and the outdoors on the other. Never tried it in my car yet. Its just one of those little Pioneer portable recievers. Like I said it has never had any problems. (knocking on wood)

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 8
I have mine in my diesel pickup and being able to listen to music without commercials when driving is well worth he monthly fee. In a truck I car little about the sound quality. I have had it in many rental cars and enjoy it over local stations.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd not recommend their service if you really enjoy "listening" to music....

Thanks. From time to time I look for info about the music sound quality coming from this option. Seems I'll have to wait some more or buy a pick up truck...
icon10.gif

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back