XLR Power Cable
Nov 12, 2006 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
Is a 3-pin XLR AC power cable acceptable to make?
It will be implemented in my SOHA where I have to take 2x15VAC plus a center tap from the 2ndary of a transformer to the SOHA board (separate enclosures). Note that the trafo is rated max at 500mA.
I'm looking at some Neutrik XLR connectors but the datasheets don't say anything pertaining to this. All it says is that each contact are rated at currents much higher than what I will have going through it (ie. it says they're rated at 10A, 16A, etc.).

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 4
No they are not.

Take page out of Murphy's book. Don't give idiots any chance to do something stupid. You use an XLR connector for power today. Tomorrow you buy a balanced amp. The day after you have a big night get horribly sloshed on poison of choice and end up plugging your power straight into the input or output of the amp and bang.

If you're going to be running power through connectors other than standard power jacks look at something unique, not something that you do or will have around the house. Neutrik, and amphenol make perfectly good screw down locking jacks in a wide variety of configurations. Pick something like a 3pin C16-1 connector from Amphenol, they are better suited for this task.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 4
I agree with garbz.... disaster waiting to happen...

AMP CPC connectors are good for power also... and are available in all sorts of pin configurations from 4 to more than you could possibly want lol

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Excellent,
The Amphenol C16 series is perfect, and easily available. Thanks for the advice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back