XLR output on Corda..."pseudo balanced?"
Feb 19, 2006 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

duchamp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to build a custom DIY cable for my HD600's and was wondering what the purpose of the XLR-1/4 combo output was on my Corda HA1 MKII. Is this a "pseudo balanced" output as described on Van Den Hul's page in Fig. 2? Is the output equipped with a cross coupled output stage or an output transformer?
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring2.htm
I'm also wondering if this XLR output is worth incorporating into the design of my cable. Anyone have any experience with this?

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 7
I think those jacks were chosen simply because Jan Meier liked them. I don't think the XLR part of the jack is even used.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 7
That's what I was wondering. Maybe I should just email him and ask. Just thought I'd try and get some input from fellow Head-Fier's before I bother him with a potentially stupid question.
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by duchamp
That's what I was wondering. Maybe I should just email him and ask. Just thought I'd try and get some input from fellow Head-Fier's before I bother him with a potentially stupid question.
confused.gif

did you get an answer from Jan? I was going to ask him myself when I found this thread...

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Is the output equipped with a cross coupled output stage or an output transformer?

Nope. This amp is entirely single-ended. Output is just a BUF634.

The XLR portion of the headphone connector jack isn't used.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Here's the answer I got directly from Jan-
"This output is not connected. These combined sockets are normally used for professional equipment. They're used since they're of high quality and easy to assemble (PCB-mounting) but the XLR-option is of no value
for this application."
I'm glad someone else was wondering the same thing. I had a feeling that the XLR portion was not functional, but wanted to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back