XLR Out into 2x RCA signal?
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ting.mike

Headfonia
On my CEC CD5300, there is an XLR out. I wonder if I can take that XLR signal, and supply 2 single ended amplifiers using it? So I would make an interconnect with XLR jack on one end, and the 2 sets of RCAs on the other end?

The signal would go out from the CDP like this:
L+, L-, L ground, and R+, R-, R ground

and split into:
L+, L ground, R+, R ground
and
L-, L ground, R-, R ground

That would be handy for hooking up one source to several amps.

Would that work?

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Technically that would "work," but you'd have one amp being fed an inverted signal and the other amp fed a non-inverted signal.

Unless the amps in question have unusually low input impedances, I don't see any reason why you can't simply split the signal using an XLR/RCA adapter and a Y splitter.

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 3
^Exactly, if your listening to 2 signals, one out of phase with the other, it probably wouldn't sound right* if your trying to amp and listen to both at the same time(hot going to one amp and pair of speakers and cold going to another amp and pair of speakers, and your listening to both at the same time), the Y splitter would allow you to amp and listen to just one signal using 2 amps.
I would want to know if the XLR shield in your CD player is indeed grounded to anything first.

*kinda like hooking one speaker up out of phase in a stereo setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back