Xbox One S, Dolby Atmos for headphones through SPDIF
Jul 21, 2017 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rompe

New Head-Fier
Does anyone here happen to know if the Xbox One S' Dolby Atmos app is capable of outputting the stereo virtual surround audio (i.e. Dolby Atmos for headphones) through the SPDIF? I would like to connect it to my headphone DAC/AMPs SPDIF input. I couldn't find definite answer to this from google.
I don't own Xbox One S yet or know anyone who owns it, so I can't verify this myself.

Also, what do you think about Xbox One S virtual surround? How well does it work (games, Dolby Atmos blurays, streaming content etc.)?

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes you can. Bear in mind that games need to be patched first as otherwise you get only a bit of an upmix. How it sounds to you is up to your taste and headphones you use. My box is connected to my dac via optical and the Xbox applies the vss internally and once it's mixed in, it remains in the sound chain. Same goes for windows sonic. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes you can. Bear in mind that games need to be patched first as otherwise you get only a bit of an upmix. How it sounds to you is up to your taste and headphones you use. My box is connected to my dac via optical and the Xbox applies the vss internally and once it's mixed in, it remains in the sound chain. Same goes for windows sonic. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Thank you! That's great news to me. I'm kinda basing my purchase decision to this. I believe there's no other UHD 4K bluray player that can do this. Other players require additional hardware (i.e. AV Receiver) and the headphone output and VSS usually is not very good in AVRs.

To be precise, does the Xbox (i.e. Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic) apply the VSS processing to any content (4k blurays, streams etc.) with any surround audio format (e.g. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA, Dolby Digital etc.), not just games?

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you! That's great news to me. I'm kinda basing my purchase decision to this. I believe there's no other UHD 4K bluray player that can do this. Other players require additional hardware (i.e. AV Receiver) and the headphone output and VSS usually is not very good in AVRs.

To be precise, does the Xbox (i.e. Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic) apply the VSS processing to any content (4k blurays, streams etc.) with any surround audio format (e.g. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA, Dolby Digital etc.), not just games?
Not sure if you're asking this:

"Does Dolby Atmos for headphones apply HTRF to a DTS HD, True HD, DTS, or Dolby Digital track from a BluRay/DVD?"

Also:

"Does this apply to games with 5.1/7.1"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back