xbox as a Jukebox, want advice
Apr 14, 2007 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

floupp

New Head-Fier
I'm getting back to school and need to sell my audio setup.

I'm will come back to my vintage harmon kardon tube amps (REALLY good quality) but I want to feed this amp with a good source. I know computer is not a good environnement for analog output so here's what I thought:

Fileserver (my old computer, music stored in FLAC) -> XBOX under Linux -> Turtle beach Audio Advantage USB sound card (with S/PDIF output) -> HeadRoom micro DAC -> mini-to-RCA adaptors -> amps -> speakers

I want to know if there's any flaw in my thought, is the HeadRoom DAC as a good quality, does anybody have experience with turtle beach sound card under unix.

Ian

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SebastianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talking about the original xbox or 360?
The old xbox, there's lot of good info out there, xbox-scene.com
Can't you just use the high def kit with toslink connector there are several out there lots much cheaper

I would just do a softmod and install xbmc unless you can solder.

the microsoft oem hd pack is long out of production and getting harder and harder to find, i recently managed to score one for ~40 canadian which was a decent deal

as to the original poster, if you have a fileserver why not just use it as a direct source feeding your DAC and bypass the xbox compeltely?

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah I think I'm gonna save a few bucks buying a used XBOX and invest into an M-audio audiophile 2496 and an 50$ video card with TV out. Slam this with 2 1TB HD, and I will be happy with it.

That's leaving about 400$ into new or used quality speakers, any suggestion?

P.S.: I was talking about a original XBOX, no need for a 360 cause I don't even have an HD television and I don't play video game.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a softmodded Xbox in my living room that I use to stream music and DVD .iso files. I bought mine off of craigslist for $50 and tossed in a 120GB hard drive I had laying around. Musically, the Xbox sounds pretty damn good...it makes a nice jukebox. My big crazy universal remote also works with the Xbox
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I also use a softmodded Xbox to stream music and movies.

XBMC is the way to go. Especially if you get that super cool xTV skin (based on the Apple TV)

Offtopic, but interesting: the xbox streams HD content without any hiccups (atleast, mine does. haven't found a file it won't play yet.)

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 7
I TSOP'ed my v1.0 Xbox with a X2 4981 BIOS, and installed a Segate 400GB hdd
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back