X5 "Media lib update failed. 0 song updated"
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

djxx

New Head-Fier
Hi. After lurking on these forums since getting an X5 for xmas I have a question. I've already posted something similar on the fiio forum and emailed their support, but so far have had no success resolving this issue.

So things were going fine. After purchase I upgraded to the 2.36 beta firmwares. I formatted 2 128GB sd cards in the X5 and they are now almost full with aac's (31992 songs in total). Then more recently I upgraded to the official 2.4 firmware, updated the media lib and have been very happy with this DAP.

All good until last week when I thought I would try some of the firmware mods from links on the head-fi mod thread. I tried several to find one I liked, then once I settled on one, I tried to update the media library (with no tf cards so as to reset it).

But I got this message... "Media lib update failed. 0 song updated". Thinking this might be normal behavior I powered off, inserted my tf cards, powered on and again attempted to update the media lib. Failed again Same message. Not good. So I checked "About X5" and strangely it says I have 31992 songs! I was surprised because I assumed that a firmware update would wipe the media library. 

Ok, so I can play my music... but what if I do want to update the media lib - like if I add or delete songs?

I tried downgrading to FW2.36 beta. This appeared to work. The custom mod images are back to the official ones, except "About X5" still says FW2.4 and media lib updates still fail - yet I can still play the music from those sd cards.

I've tried hard resets (using the pin hole). I've re-downloaded and reapplied the official FW2.4. At every point everything seems to work with the exception of the media lib update which fails with and without sd cards inserted.

I'm interested to hear any theories about what has gone wrong. Could a custom mod have caused this? Or was that just a coincidence? Does anybody know how to flash the internal memory of the X5 to restore it to exactly the state it was when it left the factory? Is this even possible?

thanks
David

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 2
beyersmile.png
 Fixed by first flashing to FW 2.0, then pin-hole reset, then flash to FW 2.4.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back