X2 or K712PRO?
Nov 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Krg0

New Head-Fier
can`t decide between AKG 712 PRO or Fidelio X2 
frown.gif

X2 design is much more appealing to me rather then 712, but i keep reading that AKG 712 PRO are amazing for gaming aswell and i have the utmost respect for AKG ... even when compared to a HD 600/50 people say there are very similar

both same price, 225 € 
oh yea, for now, no matter which one i choose i will be using on my onboard audio that uses ALC1150 with Audio Boost 3

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 17
I have the k712 and have heard the x2 before. The x2 has more bass at the cost of resolution, the k712 is a bit more comfortable to me as well. I do like both so I think you are choosing from 2 great options.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 17
They're both really nice, but for you, the X2 would be better.
The AKG K7 series needs a lot of power to bring out its best. They're pretty much 'amp-reliant' for their sound.
Particularly the K712, it's known for being extremely picky with amps.
The X2 shouldn't really have that kind of problem, so I'd say you should go with that.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 17
  They're both really nice, but for you, the X2 would be better.
The AKG K7 series needs a lot of power to bring out its best. They're pretty much 'amp-reliant' for their sound.
Particularly the K712, it's known for being extremely picky with amps.
The X2 shouldn't really have that kind of problem, so I'd say you should go with that.

+1

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 17
thanks for the answers guys
then i will probably stick with X2... 
i love his design, remember me Grado headphones 
biggrin.gif

any suggestion below 250€ that worth mention for mainly gaming / rock music?

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 17

To be clear X2s and Grados sound NOTHING alike....if youre expecting them to sound like Grados you will hate them.

The only thing that sounds like a Grado is a Grado....and Alessandros,which are made by....Grado.

Another headphone that is decent for both rock and gaming is DT990...you'll want the lowest ohm version if youre not using an amp.

The difference between X2 and DT990 is the DT990 has better detail and has more treble....The X2 has more bass impact.

Both are comfortable and both have good sounstage.Of the two I think the DT990 would be SLIGHTLY closer to a Grado,but again,if you want Grado sound,get a Grado.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 17

To be clear X2s and Grados sound NOTHING alike....if youre expecting them to sound like Grados you will hate them.

The only thing that sounds like a Grado is a Grado....and Alessandros,which are made by....Grado.

Another headphone that is decent for both rock and gaming is DT990...you'll want the lowest ohm version if youre not using an amp.

The difference between X2 and DT990 is the DT990 has better detail and has more treble....The X2 has more bass impact.

Both are comfortable and both have good sounstage.Of the two I think the DT990 would be SLIGHTLY closer to a Grado,but again,if you want Grado sound,get a Grado.

hahah thanks for the response again, but i mean the Grado DESIGN, X2 remember me  Grado headphones classic design, thats why i love it. 
I read about DT 990 aswell and it`s a lot cheaper...
EDIT: No, it`s not. Only 10€ cheaper

What about people saying that DT990 were not made for people with sensitive ears? you know why?

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17

What about people saying that DT990 were not made for people with sensitive ears? you know why?

Because theyre quite bright(lots of treble)

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 17

seems like the lowest Ohm version(32) of the DT 990 is the worst of all :/

You might also look into the HE-400S,not the 400i,or any of the other HE-400 variations,but the "S" version might be what youre looking for

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 17

You might also look into the HE-400S,not the 400i,or any of the other HE-400 variations,but the "S" version might be what youre looking for

In ur opinion he would be above X2 for gaming? mainly i play FPS so need soundstage, but i like some bass too...
that HE400S i only found in Amazon UK for 219 GBP...that would be 255€ more or less. So, 25 Euros more expansive then X2. Not a problem...

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 17
If your priorities are soundstage and bass impact for FPS gaming only then I say X2.

If youre planning on using headphones for gaming+music I say 400S

The 400s is a better all around option for all types of music,whereas X2 sound good for mainly bass-centric music.

so its all about what usage youre going to be giving these headphones.

X2=better for just gaming
400s= not as good for gaming,better for music

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 17
  If your priorities are soundstage and bass impact for FPS gaming only then I say X2.

If youre planning on using headphones for gaming+music I say 400S

The 400s is a better all around option for all types of music,whereas X2 sound good for mainly bass-centric music.

so its all about what usage youre going to be giving these headphones.

X2=better for just gaming
400s= not as good for gaming,better for music

everything that i read about HE 400S makes me want him, except build quality(people say are the worst of the worst of all headphones at this price range), uncomfortable, faulty units and poor customer service... that scares me a bit for a 219£ headphones 

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 17

everything that i read about HE 400S makes me want him, except build quality(people say are the worst of the worst of all headphones at this price range), uncomfortable, faulty units and poor customer service... that scares me a bit for a 219£ headphones 

I have the HiFiMan HE-500,which IMO is a clear step above the 400 in sound and price,and yes,theyre not too comfortable...as as build quality goes Ive had no problems with my 500s,but that doesnt mean the 400s wont.

The X2 has also had some quality control issues too,more with glued pads and some batches sounded bad,but from what ive gathered they have cleared that up.The X2s are very comfortable too...

The only thing I can tell you bad about the X2 is theyre not the best for rock music...theyre not horrible for rock,like the SZ2000,but still not great.

Other than that Ive not much else to say...others might have other recommendations for you,but I only like to suggest headphones that ive owned or heard extensively.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 17
  I have the HiFiMan HE-500,which IMO is a clear step above the 400 in sound and price,and yes,theyre not too comfortable...as as build quality goes Ive had no problems with my 500s,but that doesnt mean the 400s wont.

The X2 has also had some quality control issues too,more with glued pads and some batches sounded bad,but from what ive gathered they have cleared that up.The X2s are very comfortable too...

The only thing I can tell you bad about the X2 is theyre not the best for rock music...theyre not horrible for rock,like the SZ2000,but still not great.

Other than that Ive not much else to say...others might have other recommendations for you,but I only like to suggest headphones that ive owned or heard extensively.

hard to get any good headphone when we can't get high end ones that cost 500+, people like me, that doesn't know almost anything about sound technical terms doesn't know what they are buying exactly, completely different from any hardware for a PC for example... GPU, CPU, MB even mice like keyboard, mouse and other stuff, pretty easy :p

Buying a headphone for me is like buying a 144Hz monitor, always used a 60 Hz one for all my life and never saw a 144 Hz with GSync or FreeSync running in front of me to know the difference. 

Anyway, people are indeed saying the HE 400S are better then X2 on sound quality. I probably can grab aswell a used HD 600 at the end of the month for 200€, but i can't buy any good AMP now, he would probably suck for gaming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back