X-can v8P vs X-can V8
May 22, 2009 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

danik

Head-Fier
Just wanted to know if anyone out there can comment on the X-Can V8P's DAC capability? I see that the V8 amp is also sold as the V8P version with the DAC for the same price. What's the catch? Is this a new item that's phasing out the V8?

Went to Music Fidelity's site and the only headphone amp selling is the V8P version.
Welcome to Musical Fidelity

May 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by danik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to know if anyone out there can comment on the X-Can V8P's DAC capability? I see that the V8 amp is also sold as the V8P version with the DAC for the same price. What's the catch? Is this a new item that's phasing out the V8?

Went to Music Fidelity's site and the only headphone amp selling is the V8P version.
Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Reportedly identical... except... the "P" has a pre-amp circuit.

May 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 23
I noticed in the Audio Advisor's latest sales catalog that the price for the X-CAN V8 (amp only) has been lowered to $499. I don't know if both products have been lower, maybe so. From what I've read the X-CAN V8P it is exactly the same amp with more flexibility. I have no idea what DAC they are using, it appears as if it only has a USB input for the DAC, I'd rather be able to use by RCA digital output. I guess whatever you get beyond the amp itself is something extra that they're giving you for the same money.

May 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 23
I would not rate the USB DAC highly in the X-can v8P. It's so so. I think any decent USB DAC for $200+ will trump the DAC section of the v8P.

However, the Pre-amp and Headphone amp sections are pretty good. I have further improved them by getting an X-PSU-8 Power Supply and modding the v8P with MF service! Awesome performance.

May 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by denp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not rate the USB DAC highly in the X-can v8P. It's so so. I think any decent USB DAC for $200+ will trump the DAC section of the v8P.

However, the Pre-amp and Headphone amp sections are pretty good. I have further improved them by getting an X-PSU-8 Power Supply and modding the v8P with MF service! Awesome performance.

What were the mods... and what is "MF Service?"

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 23
I think he talked about the PinkFloyd MOD?

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he talked about the PinkFloyd MOD?

No,he means musical fidelity fine tuning.Check the musical fidelity website.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 23
Where can I buy the V8P in the US? I don't see it in audioadvisor anymore. I'm considering this for my D5000.

--
BigIron

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by denp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HI DENp, 1st user whom i heard who did the MF fine tuning. Can you share what improvement over the stock the fine tuning made?

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 23
I did an A-B comparison between my computer usb -> V8p dac compared to my iPod -> V8p line in. I could not hear an audible difference between the V8p dac and the internal dac of the iPod.

I am now going to use the Onkyo ND-S1-> DacMagic -> V8p, just waiting for the DacMagic to arrive.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 23
I also think the internal DAC ist ok at best.
I use the MF V-DAC. That's a really fine DAC and by far superior to the one in the X-Can.

DENp,
I would also be very interested to read about your experiences with the MF fine tuning.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mironathetin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think the internal DAC ist ok at best.
I use the MF V-DAC. That's a really fine DAC and by far superior to the one in the X-Can.

DENp,
I would also be very interested to read about your experiences with the MF fine tuning.

v8P Fine-tuned had a slightly more euphoric tubey feel to it - a result of the Russian tubes MF chosen I believe. The difference was very subtle though.

In all honesty, I think I have been limited by the Headphones I use - the Denon D2000s; they do not necessarily allow easy audible detection of upgrades - whether in Amps or source; I briefly owned K701s and thought those were more sensitive to equipment you use them with.

I finally sold the Fine Tuned v8P & X-PSU V8 - primarily because I wanted a better Pre-amp section as I felt it had been my weakest link at the time; However, I can heartily recommend the setup for Headphone listening; although the improvements of fine-tuning and adding X-PSU v8 were minor; I also think the X-PSU v8 reduced noise to non-detectable & made a black-er background, if you like, which was appreciated! Overall I felt the setup lacked a large sound-stage & 3D extension, esp when used as a pre-amp... Was it worth the extra money to upgrade? Probably (like anything in hi-fi); I could have only known had I performed an A-B comparison... too late now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back