WV Ratings of PPA caps?
Nov 19, 2003 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BPRJam

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering what most PPA builders are using (or thinking of using) as the WV on their PPA caps, specifically C1 and C4.

I was thinking about going with Nichicon Muse KZ series all the way (for both C1 and C4) until I realized that the only sizes that would fit are the 25V ones. The jump up to 50V is such a significant jump in diameter that the caps no longer fit the PPA board. But, I'm worried that 25V caps will be too low for some good opamp rolling. (Granted, most current chips have respectable performance at 25V, but what about the future new uberamp ?)

So, what WV did you use, or are you thinking of using, on your C1 and C4 caps, and what was your rationale?

BPRJam

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm using 25V Black Gates (8x220uf) which just fit. I plan on running it from 15xAA, which is 18-22.5V, so I figure I'm fine.

I'm not at all worried about the future, in 2-3 years they'll be a whole new design which will mean building another amp
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 11
you're going to want a voltage rating a good amount higher than your PS voltage. 25V caps may work on a 24V regulated elpac, but if the regulators ever start acting a wee-bit iffy... you're not going to like the result. Blown caps = smelly & messy.

Nov 20, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm using the 25V Nichicon Muse KZ for all the C1's. I have some 100uF 25V KZ's for C4, but they are 10mm and the PPA only (easily) accepts 8mm caps for C4. But on top of that, the lead diameter of the KZ series will not fit in the holes for C4 without a lot of work. And also the lead spacing is different than what is laid out on the PPA.

I'm still trying to decide what to do for C4's. I can fit some 10mm Nichicon FG's in there, but I also planned on using some Bourns trimmers in my R8's and I think they are going to interfere...

Oh well... decisions, decisions.

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Wooderson
I'm still trying to decide what to do for C4's. I can fit some 10mm Nichicon FG's in there, but I also planned on using some Bourns trimmers in my R8's and I think they are going to interfere...

These are Muse FG 100uF/25v 8mm. Since these are rail to vground, they only see half the PS voltage anyway, unlike C1. They fit great.
8mm.jpg

Nov 20, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Mike Percy, page 8 of his PDF catalog.
70¢ each, but you get 10% off after ten pieces. He has most of the Blackgate line, and an excellent selection of the Muse series.

His service has been excellent for the last several months. I think that the talk of slow service was due to his moving. That slows anyone down!

As long as you get ten or more, the prices are very competitive... cheaper than Panasonic, in fact.

Nov 21, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 11
The Importent thing to remember regarding Electrolytic capacitors is that WV Thing thay are rated by. This refers to Working Voltage. This is the Voltage the cap is designed to work at. if you derate (Operate at reduced voltage) this voltage then you will get less capacity from your cap. Generly speaking a 25 volt Electrolytic performs best operated at 25 volts. The exception to this is any voltage derating required because of high Ripple currents and or tempature. A often used Voltage derating is 0.8 so a 10 volt cap will be operated at only 8 volts. this gives the best compromise for over voltage and to get the most capacity from the Electrolytic capacitor.

Voodoochile Bring back max you change your avitar often and i get confused.

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Wow, I've never had a request to settle on one avatar! I like Max also. I think Agip's six-legged dog is still my favorite, but I like the pun inferred by Max Headroom also!

Thanks for the cap info as well.
martini.jpg

Nov 21, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Yay Max is back Yup i also liked the six legged dog Avitar also. But the max Headroom series really cracked me up at times when it was on TV and so i think of funny things when reminded of Max Headroom BTW i wounder of Headroom Corp. got their idea from Max Headroom Just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back