WOW! Scriabin Kicks *****!!!
Sep 9, 2007 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Facade19

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so yesterday was my birthday and as part of my gifts, my parents gave me the complete Scriabin symphonies set (Ashkenazy, DECCA-the one with the piano concerto). Anywho, prior to my ownership of the symphonies I possessed the complete piano sonatas performed by Ashkenazy (which I love very much) and other paino works of Scriabin and my love affair with Scriabin began. So today I finally began listening to the symphonies themselves (did not have a chance to do so last night).
I AM JUST OVERTAKEN!
Scriabin's symphonic compositions are just fantastic.
The first piece I listened to was Poem of Ecstasy and that left me speechless. I tried to classify this piece into a category, but to me personally it resembled so many different composers at certain stages of the music that it left me wandering in time and space. It sounded like Impressionism, Expressionsm, Experientalism.
The next one was the Divine Poem and same effect.
Finished Symphony No.1 and the nostalgia it created was very unique.
Right now I am listening to Symphony No. 2 and my mind is flowing through the wild array of senses.
Just wanted to share my appreciation, no my absolute joy of Scriabin and may I say that he just moved up to my top 3 symphonic composers.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 7
If you like the Ashkenazy set of sonatas, you really should check out Szidon's set as well. I have both and the Szidon is quite a bit more electrifying.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I have that same set, but I must say I still don't "get" Scriabin. The recording is gorgeous on all accounts certainly. For the adventurous, here is another set to explore:

Preparation of the Final Mystery is an attempted reconstruction of the prelude of Scriabin's Mysterium, a seven-day symphonic cycle that he did not live to work on. The task took the reconstructor, Alexander Nemtin, some 25 years. Despite of being just a "prelude", the work as it stands lasts more than two hours and a half.

Well, does it sound Scriabin? I think so, but it also sounds like Rachmaninov, Messiaen, and even Zemlinsky. Given the meager material that Nemtin had to contend with, this is a heroic task and should be recognised as such.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, the orchestral works of Scriabin are pretty amazing. Poem of Ecstasy is one of my favourite pieces. There's a great recording on BIS with Leif Segerstam and the Royal Stockhom Philharmonic if you ever come across it. It's SLOW but it works and the ending is massive. Great trumpet playing too from Urban Agnus who I think was offered the Chicago job but turned it down.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Sweet, my brother gave Pletnev's performace of Scriabin's 24 Preludes CD.
The Poem of Ecstasy is just beyond words.
I love it, love it, love it!!!
Thinking of picking up Boulez's performance of the Piano Concerto, Poem of Ecstasy and Divine Poem.
BTW Tyson I am also looking into getting Szidon's performance of the Sonatas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back