Wow, Dark Ambient is amazing!
Apr 21, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 29
Apr 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 29
hmm, beat me to it shomie.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 29
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dirk Serries (vidnaObmana, Fear Falls Burning, Continuum). I consider his Dante's Inferno trilogy to be the best combination of industrial, tribal and dark ambient that I've heard. It's a mental listen.

<Rant> Dark ambient is a strange genre, in that it is a melting pot of 'side projects' for an incredible variety of musicians. Black metal bands, rock producers, techno geeks,vocalists, guitarists as well as pure ambient artists all contribute, which explains the vastness of the genre. The dark ambient made by someone with a black metal background will sound STARKLY different than the dark ambient made by someone with, say, a studio or meditative ambient background. And this is as it should be. </Rant>

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, beat me to it shomie.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dirk Serries (vidnaObmana, Fear Falls Burning, Continuum). I consider his Dante's Inferno trilogy to be the best combination of industrial, tribal and dark ambient that I've heard. It's a mental listen.

<Rant> Dark ambient is a strange genre, in that it is a melting pot of 'side projects' for an incredible variety of musicians. Black metal bands, rock producers, techno geeks,vocalists, guitarists as well as pure ambient artists all contribute, which explains the vastness of the genre. The dark ambient made by someone with a black metal background will sound STARKLY different than the dark ambient made by someone with, say, a studio or meditative ambient background. And this is as it should be. </Rant>

Thats what I've found so refreshing about dark ambient, it's a shining light in an otherwise horribly produced unoriginal mainstream world.

There is just so much to hear, its a whole new world.

Plus the production quality of a lot of these artists is actually decent, compared to the "let's just turn the gain to 11, so it sounds louder." mainstream mastering standard.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 29
I can't think of many other than those already mentioned, but I have been recently listening to the music from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R game; an fps masterpiece imho with a suitably haunting soundtrack. You can download part of the soundtrack from here.

Although it doesn't contain all the musc from the game, you can download soundtrack from official website:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't think of many other than those already mentioned, but I have been recently listening to the music from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R game; an fps masterpiece imho with a suitably haunting soundtrack. You can download part of the soundtrack from here.

Although it doesn't contain all the musc from the game, you can download soundtrack from official website:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Downloading it now, I'll telll you what I think when I start listening.

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #26 of 29
So where in this spectrum Scorn's Logghi Barogghi fall? It's dark, it's ambient, but is it dark ambient?

May 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #27 of 29
Global Communication was pretty amazing! It was an eye (or ear) opener, whichever you prefer. Especially track "8 07" because its such a huge tease. And because its featured in GTA IV
cool.gif

EDIT: it seems "5 23" was the track featured in GTA IV.

May 18, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lustmord ? o_O
So surprised they haven't been mentioned yet!

Well, I believe people have mentioned the album 'Stalker' by Robert Rich and B. Lustmord at the beginning of the thread. Nonetheless, his solo work certainly deserves a mention, as he's a legend in the genre.

He supposedly uses subsonic frequencies in some of his recordings to induce fear in the listener. Pretty mental stuff. I think he has a new album due sometime in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back