Would Switching to the Transit be a Mistake?
Jan 13, 2005 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rnd

100+ Head-Fier
My current source/DAC is a Sonica hooked up to my Powerbook. I like the sound, but have been annoyed by the drivers on the Mac. I've been offered a replacement - probably a Transit. Would this be a mistake? I guess the two areas of concern would be if the Transit drivers are just as bad or worse, or if the sound of the Transit is not as good as the Sonica. I only use the analog line out into an amp and don't plan on using the optical out (I'll upgrade this before going down that road I think). Anyone have experience with both, especially on Mac?

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 5
RND,

I had no problems with the Transit really. Occasionally, the sound would stop and I would have to restart the machine, but that didn't happen too often.

If you can afford $200 or so, you might look into getting a Waveterminal U24. The sound is clearly better, and it is a small, plug and play option for a Mac needing an external USB soundcard. I like the portability and the lack of "extra" features I would never use. Anyway, something to think about.

Cheers,
dshea

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I've read your posts about the Waveterminal and I'd like to try that out, but I'm just not ready to upgrade yet. This would not be an upgrade, but a replacement from M-Audio. I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by switching to the Transit. Maybe later this year I'll be able to "justify"
rolleyes.gif
upgrading the source. You can justify anything if you think about it enough, right?

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back