Would Creating Pressure on in-ear phones enhance or change burn-in?
Sep 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Modifiedz

100+ Head-Fier
For those of us who burn in our phones:
I just thought about simulating the way the earphones are in the canal with an airtight seal. The way I burned in mine are with freq sweeps and selected bassy Techno/Trance (Infected Mushroom/Crystal Method), I just put my playlist on repeat for the entire night while I sleep with my earphones laying on my table. The phones are in an open-air space with no air pressure or vacuum (laying on a table),..It is the opposite inside the ear canal if inserted properly. The drivers are forced to work slightly different inside the earcanal, just like a Subwoofer installed in a ported enclosure ( the box that the Sub is in has ports to allow free air movement in and out of the enclosure). Then there is the sealed Subwoofer enclosure which is a Box that is airtight and sounds completely different and forces the Sub to work slightly different because of the vacuum/pressure caused by the pounding Speaker.
Well the question is could we benefit from inserting the earphones in-to something that would have the same pressure as inside our ears? Maybe a Pen or Marker cap or something?
I hope someone else understands what im trying to explain.

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure if that would help anything.

Quote:

The fixed-armature drivers in higher-end in-ear monitors operate differently than in dynamic headphones. As a result, you shouldn't notice break-in. You will, however, become increasingly expert at inserting the earpieces (or irritating your middle ear), which can affect the tone enormously.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Both Dynamic and B/A drivers utilize a moving surface to create sound ( albeit extremely small in a B/A). So creating hyperbaric pressure would simply create back pressure and only change the burn in as to timeframe ( and probably not measurably). I can't imagine any other appreciable difference it can make. In addition, some consider the electrical flow thorugh the components and wires to be a significant part of burn in and that would most like not be effected by any changes in the output barometrics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back