Would an audio interface improve the sound quality over onboard?
Dec 19, 2014 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mariansmg

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm currently using the Realtek ALC887 onboard sound card, and I want to get better sound quality out of my PC. The question is: if I get an audio interface, such as a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UM2 (I'm on a low budget), will I get better sound quality or clarity compared to the onboard Realtek, or should I go for a PCI Express sound card? 

P.S: I do make music in FL Studio, but I don't have any instruments, so I don't plan to use the audio interface for recording, but just for the sound output.

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Over on-board you probably won't hear any difference between the two.
You only 'need' an external USB DAC or interface (interfaces usually include DACs) if your on board audio has hissing or noise from electrical interference. 

USB DACs and interfaces are isolated from the electronically 'noisy' PC case environment and usually provide a very clean sound with a totally silent/dead background.

PCI soundcards are only good if you NEED 7.1 with all the whistles and bells and buggy software... which IMO is usually massively over-priced and over-marketed. 
Also I think external is way better because you can easily bring it to your next PC build without worrying about compatibility issues.
So many sound cards become useless after the next iteration of windows, or drivers and software become unstable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back