Would a portable tube amp pair better with high impedance headphones than a solid state amp?
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fungus

1000+ Head-Fier
I've noticed that most tube amp have a much higher output impedance, around 32ohm whereas most solid state amp are under 8ohm.

From my understanding, an amp with a higher output will allow for more voltage. 

Since my headphones are 600ohm, I assume that a tube amp will be a better match up sound wise. 

However according to the damping factor, 1/8 rule, since my headphones impedance is more 8 times the output impedance of both amps,both should technically not have any impact on the sound. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 7
  From my understanding, an amp with a higher output will allow for more voltage. 

I assume you meant to say "higher output impedance will allow for more voltage" (obviously higher output is produced by higher voltage). I am not aware of any such correlation. The output impedance will drop some of the voltage, so the voltage across the headphones is actually reduced by it.

The output impedance is not significant compared to your 600Ohm headphone, so like you said, it won't have a significant impact on the sound, or the maximum output. Since the output impedance isn't a factor, I think the choice just comes down to whether or not you prefer the tube sound.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 7

I assume you meant to say "higher output impedance will allow for more voltage" (obviously higher output is produced by higher voltage). I am not aware of any such correlation. The output impedance will drop some of the voltage, so the voltage across the headphones is actually reduced by it.

The output impedance is not significant compared to your 600Ohm headphone, so like you said, it won't have a significant impact on the sound, or the maximum output. Since the output impedance isn't a factor, I think the choice just comes down to whether or not you prefer the tube sound.

so then given the choice, its always better to get an amp with low output impedance. 
But with headphones, higher impedanc for better fexability when pairing with diffrent amps, higher damping factor.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 7

so then given the choice, its always better to get an amp with low output impedance. 
But with headphones, higher impedanc for better fexability when pairing with diffrent amps, higher damping factor.

Yes, if you ignore everything else and just consider the damping factor and power efficiency of the output. Of course there are other considerations so it's not the case that the amp with the lowest output impedance or headphone with the highest impedance is best for every possible situation.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm curious, what portable tube amps are you looking at?

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 7
  Yes, if you ignore everything else and just consider the damping factor and power efficiency of the output. Of course there are other considerations so it's not the case that the amp with the lowest output impedance or headphone with the highest impedance is best for every possible situation.

Other considerations?
A know that a more powerful amp would be needed to drive high impedance headphone to adequate levels?
What else? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back