Worried about speaker set up.
Apr 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CloudSensei

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.0s as a pair and found an old amp. It's the Rotel RA-920AX. All I have are stripped wires (no banana plugs, just copper). This is fine for me because I will not need to adjust the wires once they are fixed and the amp and the speakers will be in easy to reach places anyway. The problem I am having is that, having wrapped the copper around both connectors, I am hearing a dull thud when I turn on the amp (I presume, normal) but only had sound through one of the speakers. On the other, it was barely audible. I am worried I've broken it or burst the speaker. I did start the volume on the amp very low and built it up slowly but it seems it isn't working.

Then I thought it might be the connection itself. After fiddling with the connection, the one which is barely audible remains the same but now, the one which I could hear clearly through produces no sound whatsoever. I am really hoping the problem is solvable and that there is just something I'm doing wrong here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I await your response!

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
have you connected/matched the cables to the correct terminal (+ or -)? example

Most definitely. I found out the problem most likely to be a faulty connector on the part of Rotel. The amp is, admittedly, 10 or so years old and has been sitting in a loft although I am sitll willing to try out the working speaker in the connector the one which wasn't giving anything out. Might do that tomorrow. However, switching around the 'broken' speaker to the other connector yielded completely different results. I now have two fully functioning speakers. My guess being that the connector has somehow degraded. The copper I used remained constant and the non-working speaker now is suddenly as clear as the other so that's the only logical conclusion I can draw. Now it would either be to buy a new amp or fix the connector (provided I find it is still broken by tomorrow).

I am considering the Amptastic Mini T. From what I've read, people look down on Class D amps and Tripath but apparently this amp produces a very decent quality of sound. And it seems pretty compact. I've also been recommended Cambridge Audio and NAD/Marantz. Unfortunately, I can't find anything as low as this and that is the overriding factor at the moment. If you believe there is something out there, I would be really grateful for your recommendation. Or whether you think it's worth getting the Rotel fixed.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
a cheaper alternative could be a Lepai. I've not personally used one, but I read no complaining from users with similar speakers as yours.

if you're looking for small amps this also looks interesting.

Hey Lenni,

I took a look at the Lepai but unfortunately too late because I have bought a Mini T from Amptastic instead which is actually doing a very good job as a stand in and looks fairly similar to the second link you provided. To give you an idea of size, it's about a fifth of the Rotel RA-920AX I have but hopefully I can get the Rotel fixed up soon because it was a very good amp I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back