Worn out Grado flat pads? Here's some DIY Tips!
Feb 15, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nextcube

Head-Fier
Are your Grado Pads slowly starting to deteriorate? Are you tired of the new bowl type pads?
Would you like a new pair of flat pads, similar to the originals but at a fraction of the price?

Well, Here's a few tips on how you can create a new pair of flat pads - similiar to the ones
found on the HP-, SR- or RS-series... for as little as $5!

Until resently, I've had the misfurtune of having to live with the old deteriorating pads of my
HP-1000s. After contacting the few local importers (I live in Denmark) I learned that a new set
of pads would cost around $50-60. Annoyed by the prospect of having to pay what a new pair a
SR-60s would cost for what I consider two pieces of cheap foam, I decided to use a little bit
of ingenuity instead.

I tried different kinds of Sennheiser pads, but found them to be quite a poor replacement to
the original flat pads. Tried to search the internet (i.e. Head-Fi, Headwise etc.) for alternative
solutions but nothing came close.

Then I looked around for some similar foam and realized that the black foam used for mouse pads
(in my case manufactured by Bantax) is more than adequate. It's a little bit stiffer but at the
same time a hell of a lot more durable than the original foam. And the best thing is that mouse
pads only cost around $5!

The process
-----------
After measuring the diameter of original pads - inside as well as outside, I used a scalpel
fastened to a pair of compasses to cut the six perfect circular foam pieces (three for each side)
which I then glued together and grinded down to create the same roundness, look and feel as the
original pads.

That's it. You've got yourself a pair of replamcement pads for a fraction of the cost. They're quite
easy to manufacture, and you can even experiment with different "chamber" sizes to finetune the bass.

Michael :)

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 11
and don't use RIT dye
wink.gif

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=61286

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 11
heh, nothing wrong with RIT dye, just don't skip the rinse it 'til the water runs clear stage when you're done
biggrin.gif

Still, I'm glad I got the flats from Todd, these are worth every penny.

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com , 35$ incl. overseas shipping for the real deal...

He spent 5.00, PeterR.....35.00 is 7 times that price, if my math is not wrong, and what for, if he is happy wit his and they will be a lot more durable for sure???

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
He spent 5.00, PeterR.....35.00 is 7 times that price, if my math is not wrong, and what for, if he is happy wit his and they will be a lot more durable for sure???

That's absolutely fine, and if he's happy with it he should DIY, by all means. I just wanted to point out that the real pads are available and don't cost 60$ either, but 35$. That's for sure still not cheap but not as expensive as he thought. Just a remark...

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
That's absolutely fine, and if he's happy with it he should DIY, by all means. I just wanted to point out that the real pads are available and don't cost 60$ either, but 35$. That's for sure still not cheap but not as expensive as he thought. Just a remark...

PeterR,

You're right! $35 is quite reasonable. It's just that prices in Denmark are unreasonably high! Take for instance
a new pair of Grado RS-1s cost around $1100 and the SR-60s cost approx. $130! And when we order stuff from overseas,
our Postal Service usually screws us for an additional $15-20 which is supposed to be some kind of delivery fee (not
including customs and taxes!)

As for the quality of the Bantax foam, I can honestly recommend it.
It looks and feels just as good as the original foam.

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by nextcube
And when we order stuff from overseas,
our Postal Service usually screws us for an additional $15-20 which is supposed to be some kind of delivery fee (not including customs and taxes!)

Ouch, that sucks. For anything you get mailed from overseas?

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Okay, You pay some kind of some kind of delivery fee for any "purchase" made overseas (eg. books, DVDs etc..)
However, not including personal packages from your "Aunt" or "Uncle" etc. I Remember one time I had to wait
five weeks and pick up a small package myself, because I apparently had to pay approx. $0.25 VAT for having
received a free set of CD updates from Apple Computer, Inc. All this just because they believed I had bought
the CDs...

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Nextcube,

obviously clever idea. Flat pads for Grado/Alessandro headphones are not difficult to DIY. I used the similar foam for part of my own designed earpads. This black foam for mousepads is however harder and its porosity is lower in comparison to Grado original foam. This in fact has a negative impact to sonic properties, the sound is more dark, basses are bloated and treble reduced. Better solution here is to replace the top layer with a higher porous foam or to drill holes around the whole annulus.

I use a coping saw (U-shaped frame) instead of scalpel. I have a set of 10 different scalpels but I wasn't happy with the overall cutting quality. Grado pads are made by moulding process, our only way to make the shape is to cut it.

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
...This black foam for mousepads is however harder and its porosity is lower in comparison to Grado original foam. This in fact has a negative impact to sonic properties, the sound is more dark, basses are bloated and treble reduced.

You're absolute right about the sonic impact. They do seems to sound dark, bloated with reduced treble, BUT ONLY IF pads seems to cover some of the
transducer. When I first made the replacement pads, I made the mistake of making the inner diameter little smaller than the original - just enough
to barely cover half of the holes at the edge (we're only talking about 2-3 mm here!). After testing the headphones I found it odd that the set
suddenly sounded a lot more dark without treble. However, the problem went away after I had enlarged the earpads to match the originals.

The holes in the transducer must not be covered in any way, and the pads should always rest on top of the ears, otherwise the phones will sound
dark and bloated.

- Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back