Woodturning
Jan 3, 2010 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kshelton

500+ Head-Fier
So I thought I would check and see if there are any fellow wood turners on here? Up first is a bowl I made on the lathe from a Gumtree burl.

il_fullxfull73259297.jpg

il_fullxfull73258717.jpg

il_fullxfull73258531.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Nice work. I haven't gotten a knack for the lathe yet, but I am too busy to sit down and practice. I do all of my woodworking at my grandpa's house. He has a pretty full, albeit extremely unorganized, workshop. In fact, I am working on a shelf for my components right now. It is being made out of cherry. I don't have the cash to experiment with exotic woods.

The pesky table saw motor burnt on us today, though. The armature is bad and will cost around $350 to replace which neither of us is willing to spend right now. We will have to do the rest of the cuts on a radial arm saw. Such is luck, I guess.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah I am lucky, my dad is a newly retired wood shop teacher. So he has about an 800 square foot shop in his back yard. So I am a little spoiled. This bowl was made from wood he gave me for Christmas 2 years ago. It is expensive it was about 60 just for the wood. But it made an amazing bowl. I love all the little holes all over in it. I am actually thinking about sand blasting it to make the holes a little more open.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow.... really no one on here is into woodturning? I will post some more pics later. We just got one of those booths for taking pictures. My dad and I are going to start trying to sell our stuff online. Anyway thought I would give it a shot but looks like woodturners are rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back