Wood floors and indents from speaker stand spikes, how to repair?
Jun 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ejs811

100+ Head-Fier
I am moving apartments soon and I need to figure out the best way to disguise or repair the plethora of little tiny holes in my wood floor.
Sanding to the wood, re-staining and new poly coat will probably be the best, but there must be another method.
Any wood workers out there?
It is a rental after all, anything quick and easy...

Note to self for next apartment: use pennies under spikes.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I am moving apartments soon and I need to figure out the best way to disguise or repair the plethora of little tiny holes in my wood floor.
Sanding to the wood, re-staining and new poly coat will probably be the best, but there must be another method.
Any wood workers out there?
It is a rental after all, anything quick and easy...

Note to self for next apartment: use pennies under spikes.

My father was a painter and wood finisher/refinisher and he would use those putty sticks to fill nicks and holes. They are the ones that you can buy at paint stores and probably Lowers/Home Depot and such. You can get them in different colours to closely match your wood.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=106

Hope that helps. And yes, pennys under your spikes next time. 
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 3
You don't have the spike "feet' components?

Never seen a spike ship without them, unless the speaker has inter-changeable spikes and feet to work on different floor types (and usually in those cases, the spikes are intended for carpet for stability). Then again, I've seen some pretty nutso things. :p

Anyways, those "feet" are better than pennies (the spike actually sinks into it a little bit, and it prevents it from moving around as freely).

Oh, and +1 on the wood filler. It's imperfect, but it's more practical than re-doing the floors. If they're snap-in floors you might be able to just replace the individual tiles you damaged (depending on how severe the damage is, how much time you have, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back