Wood and Brass hybrid amp pics
Dec 31, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 28
Eric

That has to be the most beautiful amp that I have even seen, bar none. If it sounds even half as good as it looks, you may have found the headphone amp Shangri-La.

Jan 1, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 28
Are you related to Wodgy by chance?? You guys have to get credit for best making a headphone amp look like a piece of art instead of the typical metal box design for headamps!!!

Absolutely the best looking and most uniquely designed enclosure I've seen to date. Simply ingenious my man!! Ingenious.

Jan 1, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 28
As far as I know I'm not related to Wodgy
wink.gif
. I was inspired by his META, and was looking for a thick picture frame like his to use. I couldn't find one, but did end up getting the jewellery box.

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Serow
wink.gif
. I was inspired by his META, and was looking for a thick picture frame like his to use. I couldn't find one, but did end up getting the jewellery box.

Sincere flattery indeed. It bears repeating that you and Wodgy both have a knack for makink these semmingly sterile metal boxes housing headamps look like piece of art that are just as pleasing to the eyes as one's ears!! Awesome job!!!!!!

Five head-fi thumbs up!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Serow
wink.gif

This is probably the best part of Head-Fi -- we all seem to inspire each other in different ways! I'm sure you'll inspire lots of other people to get into DIY.

In case anyone's interested, Pete Millett's hybrid amp is ideal for putting in a picture frame case. The PCB is 6.75 inches by 4.75 inches, so it fits perfectly inside a 5x7 picture frame.

Jan 2, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You can check them out now.

Link please!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
my user title has the link in it!

Thanks KR!!! I just went thru the photos and am quite impressed with your collection of cans, amps, and some ICs you got there!! Need some decent shots of the Sony CD3000??? I ain't got no amp, but a PCDP and the Sony's until tomorrow when the amp arrives at the door via UPS!!!

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 28
I just stopped at the Tower Records near Denver. They carry AudioXpress - and lots of other interesting and/or disturbing magazines.

Anyway, that amp sure looks like fun to both build and actually use.

Maybe it'll go in an OD green case.....

I also just picked up a copy of Bruce Rosenblit's 2nd book "Audio Reality". It is lots of fun to read and makes lots of sense. I'm getting his first book (something about tube audio design for beginners) soon. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any headphone amp desings in his 2nd book.

In case you're wondering, I found that book at the nearby "Tattered Cover" in Cherry Creek. It is the best bookstore I've ever been in. The Tattered Cover in LoDo is better if you are looking for artsy/touchy/feely books. I don't like to hang around that one.

Jan 6, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #28 of 28
Just a note for anyone building this and adding the LEDs:

Do not connect the LED resistor to the side of R5 and R8 that I did. Instead connect it to the other side, or find another source of power.
I did some measurements, and the 10 mA current for the LEDs across the 1000 ohm R8 caused the voltage on the plate of the tube to be only 16V!
This caused some strangeness with biasing and distortion, since the signal began to clip unless the bias was set very low, 10V or less.

I fixed this and the plate voltage is now a healthier 23.9V, and the bias is set at 19V. Everything sounds good!

Moral of the story - make sure you double check where you hook stuff up after figuring out PCB routing from the bottom of the board
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back