Woo Wa 6 Questions
Aug 21, 2023 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JayDM

New Head-Fier
Considering dipping me toes into tubes. I’m liking the look of the WA 6 as it’s seems to check all my boxes. I’m a complete tube newbie, I’ve heard plenty of tube amps but have never owned one personally and I’m not knowledgeable about tube rolling at all. First off, is there any reason(s) that I shouldn’t consider the WA 6? I’ll mention my situation below but beyond my personal needs/preferences I’m wondering if there’s anything about the amp that may be a deal breaker. Also, what are my options for tube rolling and what would I expect from those options?

Space has always been the barrier to entry as I’m limited to a large desk and I’m already a bit pressed for space with a large DAC and moderately large SS amp(along with a pc/monitor etc.). I can’t see myself ever not having a SS amp of some sort regardless of how much I enjoy tubes. So I’m limited to something small. Also transformer coupled is a requirement as I would like to be able to drive planars as well. Sonically I would prefer something that has an obvious “tube” sound, since this is a supplement to my solid state rather than a replacement, without being overly colored. Perhaps a bit of sweetness and some enhancement to the soundstage. I’ve heard other transformer coupled Woo amps before(wa22&33) and very much enjoyed them would be great if there was some shared dna with the wa6.

Lastly if I’m way off the mark and the Wa7 is just not a decent fit for me I would welcome any other suggestions for small transformer coupled tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back