Wonder what you guys think of the sound quality of a Technics SL 1200 turntable
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I used to DJ and stopped a few years back. One thing I noticed when I first started spinning was that Vinyl could sound better than CD's a lot of the times depending on which type of music you were listening to.

I used to spin mainly hip hop at parties/clubs but spun everything at home. I have a crap load of records from new to old (pratically all my hip hop and r&b are doubled up).

Anyways, I was wondering what do you guys think of the sound quality of the 1200's? I used to use the blue Concords and liked the sound, but the needles were kinda heavy.

These were the ones I used. They tracked VERY well and wouldn't skip for nothing, even under heavy/fast scratching.

ortofonconcorddjs.jpg

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 6
I used to spin as well, Connectz, and had a pair of Concorde DJ ellipticals. The resultant sound quality was great for it's purpose but obviously won't hold a candle to any conventional audiophile grade deck. I suggest looking at a company like origin live which offers a tonearm upgrade that greatly improves the sound of the stock 1200. I'm looking to unbox my old M3D and have it upgraded as soon as I can. Spending the 400 or so on a new Pro-ject just wouldn't be the same as upgrading a deck that has served me so loyally for so long.

edit:link added

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/dj-technics-arm.htm

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 6
The 1200 gets dogged out too easily by audiophiles yet it uses the same motor that's been used to cut many master laquers. If you read the raw specs against many hi-fi turntables you will see the 1200 hold some ground. Remember that when Technics developed this deck they had the same motor assembly used in the SL-1100, SP-15, SP-10, and SP-25 which are all highly regarded.

The tonearm is usually suspected weak spot, and can be upgraded either by replacing the stock wiring, or even lubing it (www.kabusa.com). I know of a club in NYC where they installed SME tonearms:
1.jpg

Sadly, all this is degraded by op-amp based phono preamps, processing, amplification and digital "enhancers" for the bass.

I haven't tried the Rega arm, but that armboard is only a thin sheet of aluminum from what I've been told. There's definitely potential for using machined acrylic or a thicker piece of aluminum. The only concern I have is the ability to back-cue during mixing which is essential for matching beats in dance music.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 6
A good tonearm will bring the underated Technics 1200 to its full potential but what nobody ever talks about is that the Technics 1200 is the most user friendly turntable on the planet.Just cleaning off an LP with a Disc Washer on my Thorens TD-160 is a big pain in the behind because it wants to stall out.All belt drive turntables suck in this reguard.A good sounding Technics 1200 will still not be as convenient as a CD player but its as close as a turntable can get while still being manual.

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 6
If you are looking for deck that you can Dj with and still sound great for personal listening, check out Vestax and Numark....And try and get a "middle of the road" cartridge (good tracking with out high wear) I personaly have Numark Pro TT-2s with Shure M35X needles and for the $ it's as good as it gets(IMHO)

Hope that helps a bit
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
If you are looking for deck that you can Dj with and still sound great for personal listening, check out Vestax and Numark....And try and get a "middle of the road" cartridge (good tracking with out high wear) I personaly have Numark Pro TT-2s with Shure M35X needles and for the $ it's as good as it gets(IMHO)

Hope that helps a bit
biggrin.gif

No, I am done Dj'ing. I was wondering if if there was a way I could make them sound better, which you guys answered for me. I don't plan on cutting anymore or anything "turntablist-like" because any DJ will tell you that buying doubles of every "hot" single out will leave broke in no time.

I just want to listen to my music in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back