Won a Prize DAC/AMP - looking for high impedance cans to run off of it?
Oct 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

THeFastCat

New Head-Fier
Hi I won my choice of one of the following:

1. Geek Out (Silver): 450 mW power output. Perfect for efficient headphones with an impedance of  less than 100 ohms    £199
  2. Geek Out M (Black): 720 mW power output. Perfect for less efficient headphones with an impedance of 100 – 300  ohms    £249
  3. Geek Out EM (Red): 1000 mW power output. Perfect for low efficiency headphones with an impedance over 300 ohms    £299

I plan on using it my work desk. And since I only have one pair of headphones I was thinking about trying to get something completely different for the fun of having different setups at home and office.

At home I have the AKG 702 Anniversaries which I think are pretty low impedance. Does someone have a good recommendation for high impedance cans I could run off of the Geek Out EM?

(or other suggestions?)

trying to use this as a learning and research opportunity to add diversify to my experience.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Nice prize! What budget did you have in mind? Can you go for open headphones at your place of work? I wouldn't worry about the impedance, it looks like you can drive darn near anything with it. The K702 are neutral/bright, so maybe a darker or bass heavy can would round out your collection well.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply jodgey4!

I'd like to spend no more than $350 for a pair of cans but honestly if ever there was a good excuse to buy something fun this seems to be it so if there's something more pricey that would fill the niche my K702s leave open please suggest -- that's really what I'm trying to do.

Yeah I could wear open cans here - everyone else has headphones in as well.

Also any suggestion on which model I should choose? 

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 6
  Hi I won my choice of one of the following:
Geek Out (Silver): 450 mW power output. Perfect for efficient headphones with an impedance of  less than 100 ohms    £199

Geek Out M (Black): 720 mW power output. Perfect for less efficient headphones with an impedance of 100 – 300  ohms    £249

Geek Out EM (Red): 1000 mW power output. Perfect for low efficiency headphones with an impedance over 300 ohms    £299

I plan on using it my work desk. And since I only have one pair of headphones I was thinking about trying to get something completely different for the fun of having different setups at home and office.
At home I have the AKG 702 Anniversaries which I think are pretty low impedance. Does someone have a good recommendation for high impedance cans I could run off of the Geek Out EM?
(or other suggestions?)
trying to use this as a learning and research opportunity to add diversify to my experience.

I would say to get the Geek Out EM 1000mW, can't see any good reason for getting the cheaper ones.
I would assume the Red 1000 can drive all the same headphones the Silver 450 and Black 720 could, plus the Red comes with more power.

The AKG K702 are listed as only 62-Ohm headphones, but are more power demanding then a normal 62-Ohm headphone.

It might help to know the output impedance of all three amplifiers, but I doubt it would make any difference for picking anything other then the Red 1000.

I really doubt you have a need for using headphones other then the K702s

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 6
When in doubt, choose the most expensive one. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 6
All Geek Out models have <1ohm output impedance. The Phillips X1 or X2 are open headphones with a warm, bassy sound. Beyerdynamic DT-990's are more V-shaped with strong bass and treble. Going for Sennheiser HD650's would be awesome, they're very warm and dark and would contrast nicely, and be great for long hours of listening, as one does at work :). Those are the first ones I'd be looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back