Wodgy....quick question.
Dec 31, 2002 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
This may sound stupid, but what ICs are those in your avatar (connected to your META).

The reason I ask is because you seem to know quite a bit. Therefore I am interested in the ICs you use/recommend.

Dec 31, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm sure lots more people know more about interconnects than me!
smily_headphones1.gif

The interconnects in the picture are just the Radio Shack gold series with the plastic ends. I cut them down to about 1 foot long and soldered a mini-plug on one end.

I'm a little leery about spending a lot of money on interconnects, mostly because I've been burned before on cable. I spent $100 on Kimber 4VS speaker cables, and later realized they sounded noticeably worse than the 12-gauge Radio Shack megacable, which was much cheaper. (Incidentally, the thickest RS speaker cable is on the latest Stereophile "Recommended Components" list, so it can't be all that bad.) Also, as wires get shorter (e.g. interconnects), there's much less to worry about in terms of capacitance, etc. I also have a problem with silver wire, I just don't like the way it often sounds (cold, bright), so I prefer to stick to copper.

That said, I do think there is benefit to spending a moderate amount of money on decent interconnects. Personally, what I would do is buy one of the longest Outlaw PCA interconnects, then cut it into 1 foot chunks, and solder connectors on the end of each chunk. That way you'll spend only about $60 and get three or four high quality interconnects out of it. Don't be fooled by marketing; buying expensive connectors makes no difference, so you can buy cheap ones if you want (I'm just quoting Frank Van Alstine here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back