With my headphones, why do youtube live recordings sound so much better than studio recordings?
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

frostyforst

New Head-Fier
I got audiophile headphones recently (previously I had airpods max). I started listening to random stuff as a way to test the new headphone.

Then I stumble upon random youtube videos of people recording themselves in a room, like for example:

or really any videos in those channel or similar channels.

Why do these sound so much better compared to studio recorded music from streaming services (I use apple music).

The music there sounds better in the following ways:
  • a much greater sense of realism, like I was there in the room
  • the vocal is much more forward and clear
Recorded music doesnt sound like this at all. I think the quality of the instrument sound is actually lower? Like less detail? But it gains the other benefits.
Is this all just an illusion in my head? Is there a real difference here? Is it just because there's reverb in a room? Or the recording equipment is different? or the mic is closer? What's going on?

Btw if I listen on consumer grade headphones, both music just sounds similar, I guess everything just compressed and so theres no difference anymore.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe you just like the aesthetic of live performance, with a fixed number of instruments and tracks, rather than all the processing that goes into many studio recordings. Try some of NPR's Tiny Desk concerts, which are live and exquisitely engineered.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 13
I got audiophile headphones recently (previously I had airpods max). I started listening to random stuff as a way to test the new headphone.

Then I stumble upon random youtube videos of people recording themselves in a room, like for example:

or really any videos in those channel or similar channels.

Why do these sound so much better compared to studio recorded music from streaming services (I use apple music).

The music there sounds better in the following ways:
  • a much greater sense of realism, like I was there in the room
Recorded music doesnt sound like this at all. I think the quality of the instrument sound is actually lower? Like less detail? But it gains the other benefits.
Is this all just an illusion in my head? Is there a real difference here? Is it just because there's reverb in a room? Or the recording equipment is different? or the mic is closer? What's going on?

Btw if I listen on consumer grade headphones, both music just sounds similar, I guess everything just compressed and so theres no difference anymore.

What headphones were you using that sounded better?

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 13
I replaced the AirPods Max (broke) with focal clear mg and Arya organic. Both gave the same effects. YouTube live music sounded the best.

Hard to find measurements of all three by the same rig, but at least in general terms, the AirPods Max are weaker than ideal in the 1500hz to 4000hz range vs the Arya Organic and Clear Organic being much stronger than ideal, so the net result is the you get fuller upper midrange ie a good chunk of the vocals plus many instruments' notes compensating for the acoustics of a live recording that already sounds slightly thinner than they are on the AirPods.

It's not just the AirPods. Run something like the old HE4 and HE400 and these two would sound a little bit closer to the Apple headphone, albeit with better controlled and deeper bass unless ambient noise is a factor.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Hard to find measurements of all three by the same rig, but at least in general terms, the AirPods Max are weaker than ideal in the 1500hz to 4000hz range vs the Arya Organic and Clear Organic being much stronger than ideal, so the net result is the you get fuller upper midrange ie a good chunk of the vocals plus many instruments' notes compensating for the acoustics of a live recording that already sounds slightly thinner than they are on the AirPods.

It's not just the AirPods. Run something like the old HE4 and HE400 and these two would sound a little bit closer to the Apple headphone, albeit with better controlled and deeper bass unless ambient noise is a factor.
I’m not that technical. So does that mean these headphones reduces the gap between live and studio recordings while the AirPods Max (what I’m used to) has a larger gap?

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 13
Your new headphones have more midrange -- the range of vocals and instruments like guitars and horns -- than the Airpods, so vocals will be more upfront.

Have you tried listening to live albums? Stop Making Sense, Nirvana Unplugged, Live/Dead, Aretha Franklin at Fillmore West, Radiohead's I Might Be Wrong, Built to Spill Live?

I'm wondering if you just like live music vs. studio productions, or if there's something about the way YouTube compresses its files.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 13
Your new headphones have more midrange -- the range of vocals and instruments like guitars and horns -- than the Airpods, so vocals will be more upfront.

Have you tried listening to live albums? Stop Making Sense, Nirvana Unplugged, Live/Dead, Aretha Franklin at Fillmore West, Radiohead's I Might Be Wrong, Built to Spill Live?

I'm wondering if you just like live music vs. studio productions, or if there's something about the way YouTube compresses its files.
Great suggestions let me try and report back

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 13
I’m not that technical. So does that mean these headphones reduces the gap between live and studio recordings while the AirPods Max (what I’m used to) has a larger gap?

That's one way to put it.

The flipside is your current headphones can also make proper studio recordings jump out more...not on an "as the artist intended" sense in totality but compared to what headphones and speakers that artist used when recording, mastering, and checking the mastered track, while the AirPods Max may make the midrange "worse" compared to the rest of the range if the artist used something with some upper midrange, like an older HD600.

That said it's not like the AirPods Max are absolutely worse. A wide range in the midrange might be weaker, but it's a relatively flat wide section, so at least it's smooth enough ie it's not artificially making for other problems like sharpening some upper midrange or treble while making some of the vocals sound a bit hollow.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 13

ok here are my findings after testing a couple.

I have listened to
Aretha Franklin Live At Fillmore West Respect (Live February 5, 1971)
and
Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Live Acoustic) Nirvana MTV Unplugged In New York (Live Acoustic)

I tried volume match everything as best I could.

For both of those songs, compared to youtube wearing my new headphones.
I find that
  • Yes give me that immersive feeling the same as youtube videos.
  • So I suppose theres something about live recordings that make it feel immersive than studio
  • But what is the effect?
  • I would still say that the instrument sound is not as detailed as studio. Like when a guitar is plucked I can ear more movement of the string in a studio song. So live recordings have less detail but somehow it feels more immersive
  • However, one thing, both of those songs still have the vocal significantly less forward the two youtube videos. So maybe it's just a coincidence or the way the mic is placed or something I dont know

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 13
But what is the effect?
Hmm its really hard to say, for me it sounds like you just like the ambience sounds of the room etc more, mostly these are completely cut for studio recordings

Do you listen to speaker too? maybe you are just missing ambience sounds with your headphones... listen to something basicly in a vacuum (with headphones) might change your perception compared when you hear the/a room too :)

However, one thing, both of those songs still have the vocal significantly less forward the two youtube videos. So maybe it's just a coincidence or the way the mic is placed or something I dont know
what i noticed with "official" live albums is that bass is overpowering mostly everything else, that can definitely give you a sense of the voice not being that loud

Personally not a big fan of live recordings, there are some good ones out there but mostly i prefer the proper mixed version
here is one i found recently which i have admit to is quite nice, specially the artist/listener interaction :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Hmm its really hard to say, for me it sounds like you just like the ambience sounds of the room etc more, mostly these are completely cut for studio recordings

Do you listen to speaker too? maybe you are just missing ambience sounds with your headphones... listen to something basicly in a vacuum (with headphones) might change your perception compared when you hear the/a room too :)

what i noticed with "official" live albums is that bass is overpowering mostly everything else, that can definitely give you a sense of the voice not being that loud

Personally not a big fan of live recordings, there are some good ones out there but mostly i prefer the proper mixed version
here is one i found recently which i have admit to is quite nice, specially the artist/listener interaction :)

So I went and listened to that live video and then the music stream of the same song. Which do you prefer?

Because to me the live sounds much better. The best way I can describe it is that the video is like you are sitting in a room with the band in front of you. The mp3 is like you have all the instruments 2 feet from your ear. Super detailed sound but it feels like it’s computerized. The other one is less detailed but feels immersed.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 13
Which do you prefer?
which official release you listen to? Deezer doesnt seem to have the original master... but the 2012 vs 1997 remasters sound very different, did you by chance listen to the 2012 one?
i prefer the 1997 remaster over the 2012 remaster
its hard to say if i either like the 1997 remaster or the live more.... both sound great imo, for me its more of a question if i wanna listen to a live recording or my "usual music"

Because to me the live sounds much better. The best way I can describe it is that the video is like you are sitting in a room with the band in front of you. The mp3 is like you have all the instruments 2 feet from your ear. Super detailed sound but it feels like it’s computerized. The other one is less detailed but feels immersed.
Please answer this questions:
Do you listen to speaker too? maybe you are just missing ambience sounds with your headphones... listen to something basicly in a vacuum (with headphones) might change your perception compared when you hear the/a room too

The mp3 is like you have all the instruments 2 feet from your ear
i suspect either speakers OR crossfeed on your headphones might help here to some degree, but its only a guess
also make sure you have the right EQ for you

i really think you are missing crossfeed with your headphones.... depending on how things are recorded live recording might give you "crossfeed" build in... please test crossfeed and let us know!

crossfeed basicly trys to give you speaker response on headphones, since you always hear both speakers with both ears, you must hear it to understand the effect, for me coming from mainly speaker listening for a while it was clear that i needed crossfeed on headphones
since the ultra high LEFT/RIGHT seperation of headphones dont feel like the real thing...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back