Wiring the Alps Black Beauty
Oct 21, 2002 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
I tried wiring the alps into my CMOY just for testing and I didn't have much luck. I noticed that the sound cuts off on one side before the other (might be the resistance values are off). Not sure if I am wiring it incorrectly though.

There are 6 pins marked 1,2,3

1 2 3
1 2 3

I *think* 1 and 2 are for a single channel and 3 is the ground. Not sure though.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 10
Use a digital multimeter (or analog). Set it to measure resistance.

Connect one end to pin 1 and the other to pin 2. Turn the knob clockwise.

If the resistance increases, ground goes to pin 1, output to amp. goes to pin 2 and the input from jack goes to pin 3.

If the resistance falls, the ground goes to pin 2, output to amp. goes to pin 1 and the input from jack goes to pin 3.

If the resistance doesn't change, try pin 1 & 3 instead. This works for any pot.

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Yea I did that and just wanted to see if anyone that had the Black Beauty could check if I was doing something wrong. All indications from a DMM seems to indicate my pin config is right but one side cuts out before the other.
mad.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 10
I'll take a wild guess here. If the pin layout is the same as the Blue Velvets (I don't see why they wouldn't be) they should be:

Pot Shaft

1 2 3
4 5 6

1/4 - ground

2 - L output

3 - L input

5 - R output

6 - R input

Give that a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
I put it away but I am pretty sure that 1 and 3, 4 and 6 just makes the POT a resistor and sets it at it's max value. Maybe I got a bad one grr

You could do what I did...

Solder on a resistor to either pin 1 or 4 to compensate for the difference in resistance. I assume it's relatively linear like in my generic Alps pot.

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 10
hey, just saw this. wired up an alps black beauty yesterday, has a total of eight pins and looks like this (looking down with the pins facing you):

(Shaft)

Ground Pin - Output 1 - Input 1 - Not Used

Ground Pin - Output 2 - Input 2 - Not Used

hope that helps.

carlo.

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 10
Hey Carlo, a little late but that's ok. I've already completed the KG amp and yea that's the right way to do it. I can't hear the channel imbalance so I'm not sure what happened the first time. Mine only has 6 pins....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back