Wiring Cardas rca plugs
Jul 1, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Try using some acid based flux

That is how I solder them and it takes all of ten seconds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #17 of 24
Hrm, I am pretty new to DIY and I have a cheap Weller soldering iron, 30W I believe. Using Cardas Quad solder, I had no problem at all on the Rhodium. With a little patience (about 10seconds), for the jack to heat up, the solder stuck like glue, with no effort needed. And the hold is very solid, I couldn't pull it loose when I tried, just to test and make sure it held good. May have just been the Cardas Solder...

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 24
Forget the Cardas RCA's. They are overpriced & pose problems for some working with them. Parts Express' Dayton Audio rca's are gold plated, have a ground washer to solder to & only cost $5.30 a pair; one black & one red.
There is another co. that has a similarly priced product, that are used by Single Power amps. A great line of amps by the way.

Jul 2, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 24
I have a question about soldering. What is the cause of the problem when im soldering and the solder just balls up on the spool and doesnt stick to the soldering iron or the surface? I think it might be the iron cause it is a fairly cheap one compared to the others i have used. Is there any way to fix that or if that isnt the problem what else could it be?

Jul 2, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

What is the cause of the problem when im soldering and the solder just balls up on the spool and doesnt stick to the soldering iron or the surface?

Try adding some flux and see what you get.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, it sounds like the solder you are using, is not rosin core solder.

Jul 2, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdiotTech
I have a question about soldering. What is the cause of the problem when im soldering and the solder just balls up on the spool and doesnt stick to the soldering iron or the surface?

There are a couple of reasons:

Your iron tip is not sufficiently tinned. I cannot emphasize the importance of maintaining a properly tinned iron tip to ensure that the heat is distributed evenly to the joint that you are soldering.

You are not allowing the joint to melt the solder, only the iron tip. By placing a well tinned tip correctly, you will be heating both objects simultaneously, that in turn will melt the solder, that in turn will allow the flux to flow into the joint....the solder will simply follow the flux.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #24 of 24
Easiest way for me to solder those Cardas jacks is to fire up the Dremel tool with a cutting wheel on it. Takes me about 2 seconds per jack to remove enough of the plating to solder easily to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back